switcher build

I always have some setbacks. I thought the top of the hood was flat from the drawing I had. When I realized it wasn't flat, I didn't correct the details before I glued the hood together. It bugged me that it looked too high. After re-checking, I cut the sides off and re-glued them back on minus 1/4". Urrggg.

post-10-0-76364100-1389835403.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just making a mock-up of the switcher to see where I'm at on the build. Lot's of details to iron out.

There's also a pic of the homemade trucks on a Dash 8. The middle axles are solid and float freely while the ends are firmly attached ball bearing axles.

post-10-0-95208500-1393890577.jpg

post-10-0-56794000-1393890594.jpg

Yes, the outside axles have ball bearings so the wheels only turn. The middle axle is a solid one and the whole thing spins. It's a block of solid oak and the axle sitting in a groove spins surprisingly well. It rolls better than any other piece I have!

I bought the engine all torn apart. I did get the power trucks and will put the engine back together someday. The trucks were all machined up to probably fit something else that didn't work out for the builder?

• 2 months later...

• 6 months later...

I stalled on this build for a long time. I wanted to capture the look of the cooling area better. I started with plastic, switched to brass, and then ended up going back to plastic. The brass would have looked better. It was making my eyesight go! I've got bigger things to build!

post-10-0-70763200-1416701293.jpg

post-10-0-48440000-1416701337.jpg

I first tested the trucks with a battery and thought the motors stalled easily. Must have been weak batteries. I tried again with a transformer and the motors are strong. I'll have to go inside the trucks again and rewire now. The motors get their power inside the trucks and need to be kept isolated.

I have to finish this little guy. I want it running on the RR by summer. It's more like a job and I'm forced to stay with it. So some of the things I'm doing are just attempts to move forward. I can't spend the time and energy to make it perfect. In the end, I'd be happier to say it's earning it's keep on the RR sooner. Life's too short!!

So push on I will with the electrical stuff that takes me to the edge's of my patience!! I do like the end results of fully lit engines.

post-10-0-07902300-1417623071.jpg

I couldn't help but test her before she's done. I still have a ways to go. She smokes too good! I'll have to set the smoke lower.

The number board lights won't shut off?? I tried all the functions and no joy. Maybe the soundset doesn't control them? They are wired correctly. At least they're on. No lights worked at first in conventional. I put her under DCS and all the lights came on. Now they work both ways.

post-10-0-61856600-1417824135.jpg

post-10-0-56685400-1417824149.jpg