A-1-A Shark

Saw the Sharks that some built and I like them. Being a PRR fan as you know from my past builds I decided on the A-1-A, only PRR had them. Rob of the UK produced the shells, and I got two. My project is mainly cutting and splicing, etc. After the first cuts, just fooling around pushed a couple of the pieces together to see what a shortie looked like. It got a life of it's own, couldn't put it down.  I won't bore you with all the details of the build, when it is ready I'll post the big one.  
NOTE: The A-1-A was actually 6" longer than the GG1, but due to the grill details my model will be about 1" shorter than the USAT GG1.

LiG

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chuck, don't really know what to call it.   I only have pics,  and only poor angles of the roof.  If you have one and would copy it I'd certainly appreciate it.  you have a PM.

Sean, always something rolling around in my head, some do come to life.   The 3 axle truck on that is only for fun as I need it for the big one.  It's too short to put a couple of Aristo trucks under this.  LiG

Got the height correct for the scale, modified the pilot for the coupler and it works. I am getting attached to the little guy and have a feeling it is going to get a shelf. All I learned working on this will make working the big one easier as I've already made those mistakes. Maybe if they run together it will be an  A-a  unit.

Still havin' fun.    LiG.

• 2 weeks later...

Slowed on the Shark a bit due to spring duties. Today I received an incentive to go full throttle, the decals from Stan, works of art. I also found an unopened bottle of Flo Quil Tuscan Red on my shelf, also found one on line and not wanting to run out sent for it. Same formula number, but different color. The more brown one is a match to the USAT and Aristo Craft products. LiG

DSCN2029.JPG

DSCN2031.JPG

DSCN2032.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

So Far: Cut out and relocated fans to proper location, same with roof panels and walks. Each shell was cast using a different color material, I used some white plastic pieces and two different fillers. All that can make the irregularities no so obvious. Primed. Very satisfied with all but one small area, easy fix. LiG

DSCN2117.JPG

DSCN2108.JPG

DSCN2109.JPG

Jerry, According to what I was able to find, the Shark was 6" longer than the GG1, but much less powerful.   GG1: 12 motors, was rated at 4,620 HP,  A-1-A Shark had 4 motors rated at 2,000 HP.  The Sharks were built to be used two at a time.  Each had it's advantages.  LiG 

EDIT: gave it a super fine sanding and another coat of primer.  Found another area that needs more attention.   LiG 

Making the vent screens on the sides.  Got plenty of brass screen but a limited amount of strips.  Hobby shop doesn't carry it any more, did an on line search, only bigger stuff.   Looking for brass strips .016 thick X 3/32, anyone have any ideas??   Thank You. LiG

EDIT: found sheets of correct thickness, just need to cut into proper widths at McMaster Carr.  LiG

DSCN2128.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Since I am using USAT power trucks I thought it best if I duplicated the way they mounted them, recessed into the base. Made the base using 5mm plywood. The plywood by itself is flexible so I stiffened it with two spines of oak. I also lined the area that the trucks ride on with a layer of plastic so there was no binding. Next step is to sink the chassis into the shell to the proper depth so the trucks ride correctly and I get the proper height for the couplers. LiG 

DSCN2163.JPG

DSCN2162.JPG