A-1-A Shark

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jerry, that's just a small area that I cleared a bit.  Normally I put something down and spend the next 20 minutes looking for it again, and a screw that falls off the bench is just gone into an abyss.  Just yesterday I put a Dremel bit down on the bench, still can't find it.  LiG

• 2 weeks later...

Have made some progress. Rob sent a belly fixture with each shell. I cut and spliced them to make 3. The center is probably for batteries and the other two are fuel. The rear tank is a little bigger as it also feeds the steam generator, I think. Raining or I would have posted it on rails and running. Maybe a bit before I do that, taking a foster dog today, LiG

DSCN2178.JPG

DSCN2178.JPG

DSCN2179.JPG

• 1 month later...

Haven't had much time to play trains this summer, been getting acquainted with my new companion. But didn't stop planning.

I have a USAT F3 and noticed the fan blades spin with the slightest air movement.  That is a feature I want for the Shark.  Made a mounting plate, cut out the cast fans and installed the new ones.  Made an air box, attached a Cisco router cooling fan to produce air motion.   LiG

DSCN2320.JPG

I made the first air duct from the bottom of a cereal box, to test the viability of it and the locations of the baffles so they all operate the same.   Made a permanent one from plastic, removable for fan maintenance.  Found that about 6V is a good LOOK for the fans.

Stopping for a while, more work with my companion.   LiG  

BTW,  Flex Shot worked well to adhere the small box to the casting.

DSCN2349.JPG

DSCN2353.JPG

DSCN2354.JPG

Sean, you know me and dogs.  I fostered and trained 2 for adoption, then this little guy came along.  After two weeks I knew he and I were a team.  My last 3 adoptions were seniors, I strayed a bit on this one, he's only 1.  I forgot how much fun a young one is.  Life is Good

Rob advised me to have the roof fans run as slow as possible so they can be seen.  With limited control of the supply fan, and the roof fans having 8 blades they looked like a blur.  Made a little trick on the eyes and darkened every other blade.  Just did one to compare, will do the rest when time allows.  LiG

Sean, thank you.  I am waiting on replacement side frames from USAT,  two of the original order didn't have the bushings and wire for axle pick ups, and since I am planning on removing the sliders they are necessary.  I installed an adjustable voltage limiter to control the drive fan, fixed it under the steam generator exhaust so it can be adjusted easily.  Also built a simple circuit so the fan will get 4V and run while the motors are still idle, after 4 the power will start to go to the motors.  LiG

DSCN2422.JPG

Always have a project of one kind or another rolling around.  In the process of replacing the fence.  Found I can use a floor jack to pull the posts out of the ground and made a small Dollie so only need one person to move the panels.  Life is Good.