1:32 scratchbuilt T-1 locomotive running.

rbrown7713

Finally on the track.  Looks good pulling these cars, that's the good, but here is the bad.  Right after the video, the motor died.  It just slowed down, like it ran out of power.  Here is what I think.  I checked the voltage of the batteries and it was 19 volts when it quit.  I am thinking that because of the small motor, it heated up because of the drag of the non-bearing cars and just died.  Now tomorrow, I am going to charge it up and run it again and see if it performs without the drag of the cars.  If it performs, than I am thinking that the motor is just too small.  I would appreciate any input, because I am not an expert with this problem. Bob.  

I have heard about this happening with OEM engines that don't have any vent holes around the motor to allow air to flow around the motor. you might want to consider a small fan to cool the motor. it would be interesting to see how many amps the motor was pulling while pulling that consist. if the mth cars still have the electrical pickups on them that is a lot of drag for just 1 engine.

Yes, they all still have the pickups on them. At some point, I will go to battery power for the lights or an easy peasy setup to do away with the pickups.  Also will replace bushings with bearings.  So, does it sound like the motor is just too small? Thank you very much for the input, Bob.

Check out Gary Raymond wheels. Nice BB wheels with or without pick up. I replaced my MTH GS4 tender wheels with them work really well. As far as the motor yes my first thought is it doesn't produce enough torque. but a lot can factor into that what kind of gearing are you using? If you are not pulling anything does it fly around the track or does it seem reasonable at full speed. If it flys you might be able to reduce the pinon worm or gear to get more torque out of it. 

Yes Sean, but I have to solve the problem  of voltage loss. I think that the drag caused the rapid voltage loss, so have to use cars with bearings.  Also probably have to increase the number of batteries, maybe go to lithium ion since the curve for discharge is flatter. I will keep working on it, Bob.

Well, definitely test it again after sitting. The problem is a classic one that the DC motor probably smoked itself and the damage won't go away now. Just like the real thing, a AC motor can be stalled without damage. A DC motor fries itself if worked too hard. Heat is a major enemy too.

What exact motor did you use? The stock MTH Hudson motor?

No, this is a motor out of an MTH F7 diesel.  I might be wrong, but I think it was just a case of too much drag and when it got down to 19 volts, probably less than that under load, it just didn't have enough torque to pull. It will be a while before I get back into solving the problem, but one thing that will help is that whatever cars that I pull with it will have ball bearings to lessen the drag.  I think that it did a good job before the voltage dropped.  This small motor is driving 8 drivers and the loco.  weighs 22 lbs.  Like I said before, I will eventually change the metal nickle hydride to lithium ion since the voltage curve is flatter so the voltage will stay higher longer, at least that is my theory, thank you for your knowledge, Bob.

It probably does, but before I do that, I will try more ball bearings in the cars and take out the light pickups on the inside of the wheels, that should reduce quite a bit of drag.  And also might go to lithium ion batteries. Bob.

I thought of you when I was @ Dan's house (he works for Train-li) he had a USA GG-1 open ... WOW the two motors in that puppy... two 24volt Pitman motors .. I wonder if you call Mike  to see if they cell just the motor, sorry I just have the general # 781-321-0090

Thanks Sean, I will know more when I open it up. Because of the small area I have for motors, I will have to double up on small motors, don't know yet.  I might not need to do anything, I am still testing. Bob.

Yeah F Unit motors are a tad bit small. What I've been thinking is the MTH GS4 uses a bigger motor and it's basically the same thing...that is pulling 4 drive axles. 

I saw a guy online that was doing a DD40X, for the drive he had take two USA two axle blocks and spliced them together, worked pretty good. Not sure there are any blocks that would do you any good or not. NWSL? Hartland had some small blocks.

Thanks Jerry.  Like I said, I am going to try to keep the same configuration and attack the drag by using all ball bearing trucks, with those there is hardly any drag at all. I will let you know when I find out if I have fried the motor.  I stand corrected, the motor that I used is a NWSL  double shaft motor.  Thanks again. Bob.