Mini Heisle

Been working on a bizarre looking small steam engine which for the lack of better words I call it a mini heisler and I am building it with old parts and pieces from previous builds in G scale. Found the picture on Pinterest and found it to be quite unusual as it carries the cylinders of a heisler but has no side rods and the V cylinders are in the front rather than the rear. Credit is given to it being from the livery of Rio Allosius Mining & company but believe it to be an ON3 model and I am building it in loose G scale using a LGB 2017 powered tender chassis cab selection is still up in the air but have been using a LGB2015 cab for fitting and will probably use 1 from a aristo 2-4-2 Rogers as it will up the scale a bit. Support structures came from a plastruct styrene and wheel bearing and journals came from ectez tender chassis. Smoke stack is from Bachmann along with the bell and believe the generator is an LGB, sand a steam domes are from a Lionel 0-6-0 gold rush engine. Cylinders are from an old LGB stanza. The yet to be built tender section is being built from a old scientific tender cut down, Boiler bands is evergreen styrene strip and rivets are 1/2 sided 2mm beads, more to come, would like to thank Screwy Nick for his assistance in location of the generator,Bill

mini left.jpg

mini heisler V cylingers from the side.JPG

mini heisler RS chassis with support rod.JPG

mini heisler ember screen.JPG

mini heisler with generator in the front.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Got a little more done on the mini heisler, was able to secure the rear of the boiler by adding some "L" shaped supports to either side of the fire box securing them down to the deck using 2/56 screws and then threading them into the fire box with the same size screws. Secured the front using 1  # 2/56 screw that passes from under the deck into the front boiler support. I then added diamond non skid plate detail using hex net mesh fabric glued to the deck and then painted. Still have some minor detailing to do to the chassis but it is getting there, More to come, Bill

mini heisler diamond plate deck surface.JPG

After much fitting, looking and soul searching, I have finally decided on which cab to use on my mini heisler and have picked the aristo craft 2-4-2 Rogers and the basic reason was it fit better. It was larger than the one from the LGB 2015 and will require less cutting and piecing hopefully making it closer to 1:20 scale. The cab required me to cut the 2 tabs off the back where the rear pilot was fitted and also 2 locating points under the windows but other than that not much else. The cab steps up on both the sides of the front corners and the front left to right in the center where the boiler is because of the Rogers design but that will be a simple fix using flat plate styrene cut to accept the boiler on the front section and the sides I found hatch covers from the top of stanza tanks that just fit the opening and will add detail to the side of the cab. While fitting the cab I discovered that the drive gearing mechanism isn't set back far enough for me to add detail and rather than tearing everything apart I figured that it wouldn't show up anyways so I'm just going to leave it alone. Now looking at mounting the cab along with wiring, lights and details so there will be more to come, Bill  

mini heisler with new cab.JPG

• 1 month later...

Cool evening and dryer day means I got a little work and painting done, fitted the tender section of the heisler with grab rails, the brass ones put Jax pewter black and the plastic ones will get a little brass paint to look the same. The top slanted section I made removable in order to access the interior for something to be determined later, just seemed like a wasted space to cover and not use. It's not too large and could probably get my G scale graphics receiver in it but not much room left for a battery or sound unit. Made it removable by using magnetic tape and can always put weight in there for traction. Painted it a flat black and secured the water hatch cover, still to do is mount it and weather it, I think I'm opting for a battery/sound car behind the engine as at the moment I have 4 small engines that are all track powered and no layout but friends with layouts but no track power. Think it would be great to be able to run all these engines. So I have a nice wood sided Kalamazoo box car that already has the bottom hole drilled for sound and being as my passenger train is the Mason Bogie I think the box car would function for all of them, it would be nice to see my fruits of my labor in action. More to come, Bill

mini heisler tender painted.JPG