AML - K4 Pennsy (electric) - Photos & Other Discussion

enginear joe

• 2 months later...

Back to the K4 (yes I know I wandered off).   (Discussion moved from this thread: http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/471-wheelbase/)

I just don't see how to reconcile the test using 24V 2.5 amp supply with Marc Horovitz's review in GR Oct 2006:

Nine Aristo-craft passenger cars were easily pulled as the engine glided around

with Greg Elmassian's experience and Chuck's statement:

It's not just a swap the motor out "fix" as it uses a Pittman motor with a integral gearcase. If I remember right the stock ratio is like 11.5:1 which is too high but it will go over 100 smph. It needs something like a 1:18.1 ratio gearbox but finding the exact fit maybe a challenge. The way they come stock if you pull say 6 Aristo heavyweights the motor will overheat in about 20 minutes and the thing stops. Double headed will run all day  :)

Here's a few pics of the motor/ gearcase and it's not an easy find...

attachicon.gif015.JPG

attachicon.gif016.JPG

No problem, I was going to suggest moving the K4 discussion here anyway as anyone wanting information on the K4 will look at this thread before the other one.

I will put a K4 to the test but it won't be till Spring/Summer.

Thanks Chuck,

I know they look great, my concern is whether they pull OK!

I think it was you that suggested you noticed some improvement after removing the weights over the drivers.

With your experience of these can you please say what is the maximum number of Aristo Heavyweight cars that a single K4 can reliably (without overheating) haul up a 1.75% gradient with or without these weights?

Many Thanks

mike

I am lucky enough to have both the Pre and Post war electric version,  and 1 LS version.    Both pull a string of heavyweights alone without a strain.  I do double head them occationally  just for the look.  The only thing I didn't like about them is the chuff drum contacts.   They get very dirty and do bounce at high speed.  On one of them I replaced that for magnets and a reed switch.  Had a you tube video of it, but can't seem to find any of my video's, they must have made changes.    

I pull 6 heavyweights, and have converted all but the baggage/mail car to 6 wheel trucks, extra drag I'm sure but sure look good.    I presently run an elevated track, but even when I had a ground layout the grades were barely 1% if that.   I designed both ground and elevated layouts to also accommodate live steamers, which as we all know just don't have the power of a electric.

To be fair, I have 'read' on another forum of one guy that claims the motors of the later versions are not as good as the ones on the original batch, but no one else has expressed that.   I have been running mine for How Long now Chuck??     

I pull 6 heavyweights, and have converted all but the baggage/mail car to 6 wheel trucks, extra drag I'm sure but sure look good.    I presently run an elevated track, but even when I had a ground layout the grades were barely 1% if that.   I designed both ground and elevated layouts to also accommodate live steamers, which as we all know just don't have the power of a electric.

To be fair, I have 'read' on another forum of one guy that claims the motors of the later versions are not as good as the ones on the original batch, but no one else has expressed that.   I have been running mine for How Long now Chuck??     

Boy Nick Jr, That's gotta be back in 2007?? Back then I was helping out at St. Aubin and if I remember right they showed up in the fall. Khando Locomotive Works out of Las Vegas was the original manufacturer or he commissioned Acucraft to build those loco's and I can't remember the owners name. The Pre-War version came in first but it did have an Accucraft serial number plate on the engine bottom and was boxed in the typical red/ yellow Accucraft box. Few weeks later the Post-War model came in and was boxed in the AML blue boxes.

The next year St Aubin/ Pat bought all of Accucrafts remaining stock on those...something like 60+ of each version and blew them out as low as $649.95 each  :huh:

I should have bought 10 of each and just "sat" on them for 10 years!!

Chuck, now that you mentioned,  it was Khando that first came out with them.  We both bought them at the same time, and from St Aubins if I remember, and we discussed them at length.  I now remember you and I discussing if I should purchase the Post War one, I took your advice and I don't regret getting either one of them.     

Joe,  I tried about one month ago to find my video's and had no luck.   I was specifically looking for the one about the Mason and water pump car I built and got no where,   DAMN YOU'R GOOD,  I better save the access point for next time some one asks me about something that I saved,   THANK YOU.