BEMF scale speed on grade?

Chriistmas

My wife and I have been putting up a small G scale display as part of our Christmas display for 10+ years. My yard slopes so I've been limited to 1 sheet of plywood for town, city park and main line on the outside of the plywood.

I've been reading about DCC and thought it might work to mitigate the slope problem. My question is, does BEMF with DCC maintain scale speed on a grade? If it does, how much grade?

Thanks.....DT

• 4 weeks later...

While I can't speak directly to the question, I would expect the answer is yes it would maintain speed.  The one thing I understand with DCC is the actual engine speed of a selected speed setting will be relative to the input track voltage.  (So a dialed in 20 smph with 20v at the track, will be different than 20smph if engine is seeing 15v.)  So if you have voltage drop on the layout (like if you are using Stainless steel rail without frequent enough feeders and/or you have poor track join connections (ie with slider track connections) then engine could slow down due to that. outside of the variable voltage issue I would think the engine should maintain a relatively good speed consistency wise.