Dallee sound system used in Fine Art Models

rbrown7713

Does anyone know or have any information on the Dallee sound systems?  I would appreciate any info on these systems.  I found out that the Fine Art Models locomotives used this system.  I am trying to figure out whether to put a DCS System in my FAM T1 or use it as is.  So, if you have any pros. or cons, please let me know.  Bob.

I have Dallee in my S-gauge and it is not bad. I have a lot of 
Phoenix and MTH. The Phoenix is the best sound you can get, the steam engine is great, really great when running real slow.

In my none MTH locos I run Revo R/C with the Phoenix P8 board. They also have DCC boards.

https://www.dallee.com/

http://www.phoenixsound.com/index.html

Dallee will only play one sound at a time, I have one in my RDC  and when it's running you hear the rumble of the engine, pass over your magnet (say for the horn ) and the engine sound cuts out and the horn plays instead..

The Dallee Hi-Line is Polyphonic and will play more than one sound at a time and can be operated via DCC. You should go to youtube to find examples of these products.

If you want good synchronized sound and control of loco features...........go MTH, call Ray.

Well, I went online and listened to the difference between Dallee steam sounds and MTH PS-3 and there is no comparison.  The MTH sounds, to me, sound like the real thing.  The Dallee system sounds like a toy.  I will compare the FAM T1, Dallee sounds, and my T1 sounds in a few weeks, and then see if I want to change over to MTH sounds, Bob.

OK, here is a picture of what is in the tender of the T1.   There are two boards stacked on one another.  The numbers on the boards are 583 and the top one is 584.  I don't know what they do, but I tried to get a schematic and some info. from Dallee and even looked in their older section and found nothing that looked like these cards.  I assume that there is another card in the loco, but I don't know.  I will eventually have to open the engine up, I hate to but that is what I will have to do.  I will say that opening the tender was easy, just eight small screws.  I hope the engine is as easy.  If anyone here has any info. I would appreciate it.  I have also sent an email to Dallas at Dallee and haven't heard yet.  Thank you, Bob.

IMG_2094.JPG

Seems if I can remember correctly the old Dallee stuff was exactly like Shawn stated, can only play one sound at a time. Reason for the 2 boards is for 2 different sounds like maybe 1 board for horn and other for bell. I remember the old Dallee website would list the multiple board numbers.  

Yes, I think your right.  That is the closest I could find.  Next, I am going to open up the engine and see what is in there.  I think, after looking at this system, I will stick with what I know, and that is MTH DCS> BOB>

Dallee contacted me and said that the only thing in the loco., unless FAM changed it, is a magnetic pick up for the chuffs.  He also said that getting a schematic was not possible because it is proprietary.  So, I told him that he said the magic word, "proprietary" and that is why I will go MTH, DCS, because they allow schematics to all of their sound systems, so a guy like me can see where the wires go.  He told me to be my guest and that FAM installed it and that they would also be proprietary also, hence no schematics, oh well, this won't be a problem now, since I will be installing the TIU OR The explorer, I don't know yet, I am thinking it over. Bob.

What a crock as I distinctly remember the old Dallee website that listed all soundcard/ motordriver cards that they produced along with all the schematics. Dallee may have changed hands recently and new owners don't wanna be bothered with searching the archives.

I would try Koh's as them and FAM are related. Here's the Koh's FAM webpage but it's for the O Scale stuff but still the same co...

https://www.kohs.com/Historic_Archive/Historical Archive.html  

Here's Koh's contact page...

https://www.kohs.com/introduction.htm

Thank you chuck for making the effort to help me.  I talked to Dallas at Dallee and I think that he is the original owner, but I don't know.  I also talked to George Kohs and he seems like a nice man, but didn't seem to want to take the time to give me any hints.  It is a possibility that he has never taken one apart as the T1 was  built by a Korean brass co. and they came already put together.  I also don't know that for a fact.  The only one that I know that has taken one apart is Simon Du_bousquerre and he hasn't answered my private message yet.  If he doesn't answer then this is what I am going to do and might be fun.  I will make a video taking it apart without any pre_work and so we will all get to see what a puzzle this thing is at the same time and see all of the mistakes that I make in real time. Might be fun.  OK, I did find the era 1992 boards on the Dallee website and it did show the connections.  According to Dallas, there is no sound or motor control board in the loco. itself.  These two boards in the tender are for the chuff and the whistle and bell. The motors are controlled by track power.  The only item in the loco. is a timing device on an axle for the chuff.  So, this is a real antique.  I am either going to go with a TIU, sound and motor control board, and batteries.  I will have to drag a car either with a TIU or an Explorer because of the batteries.  But, I think this T1 deserves good sound and I am used to these installs. Bob.

Well that's good news that you are making some headway about it all! I did read either here or on MLS maybe where Simon posted they used 2 big flywheel equipped motors in those beasts which will make it a bit easier to install ProtoSounds 3...:Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):