AML...The Topic About Nothing

Chuck

On another forum a so called AML "expert" has recently disclosed to have "insider" info pertaining to AML's production schedule of 1:29 scale products.

Here it goes :lol:

First AML stated "No Dreyfuss Hudsons unless more pre-orders made"...What a joke as AML/ Accucrap a year ago promised delivery NOW :angry:

Second the GP60 is to arrive this fall?? Another joke as this engine has been promised for what? Over 5 years now??..Sorry but has anybody seen the prototype?? Manufacturers always build a prototype at least a year in advance :D

Third...A SD9 has been promised for 2015??...LOL as stated above..Where's the prototype :blink:

Fourth..A 50' single door Hi-Cube boxcar is supposedly slated for 2015?? That's hilarious as where's the prototype :mellow:

So what this AML insider "expert" has really posted in nothing more than a bunch of lip service..or a basket full of wishes??

AML/ Accucrap can't even deliver their new code 332 stainless steel track that's been "promised" for over 2 years now let alone something really intricate like new locomotives  :rolleyes:

Speaking about not delivering the 1:32 Allegheny has been promised for what?? 10 years now??

Accucraft couldn't even make the HAGRS 2011 PS-4750 show cars in time..some took as long as 16 months after the show to ship :unsure:  

Seems to me that 1:29 scale is leading a slow death as there's only what? 2 players in it now??

Looking at Accucraft's latest offerings that have shipped they're all 1:32 scale with new brass passenger cars being offered...someday.

Here's their list for 2014 arrivals and only a single 1:29 scale locomotive, a 0-6-0 with a Vandy tender..the 0-6-0 itself has been released for a few years  now. 

ARRIVAL SOON
7/8" Scale - Fairymead 0-4-2 Baldwin, Limited Production, Live Steam
1:20.3 Scale - Shay 28T Class B, Classic Series, Eletric
1:20.3 Scale - Shay 28T Class B, Classic Series, Live Steam
1:32 Scale - DB Class 2-10-2, Limited Production, Live Steam
1:32 Scale - Black 5 4-6-0, Limited Production, Live Steam
1:32 Scale - LNER & BR A4 Mallard, Limited Production, Alcohol Fired
1:32 Scale - MK1 Coach
1:32 Scale - Smooth Side Passenger Cars
1:29 Scale - USRA 0-6-0 w/ Vandy Tender, Live Steam
Flex Track - Code 332, Stainless Steel, USA Style
Curve Track - T213-08 8ft Dia., Code 332, Brass
Curve Track - T213-10 10ft Dia., Code 332, Brass
Switch - R3, Code 332, Brass

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing he may have actually talked to someone else or just himself again. Nothing of factual importance other then he hopes he can get something that he preordered to be the first kid on the block. (maybe not even his??)

He was actually asking people to contact dealers and beg for product that he wants.

Shadows of his close personal sidekick that once spoke to Aristo I guess??

Today he seems all better???and his sidekick is back after promising to leave????

He just keeps bashing other manufacturers that want to make products for the rest of us. Too bad there's no active moderation on children there anymore. He needs help. I don't do that.

Not worth discussing further.

refreshing that you can just ignore them.

I've had too many encounters with that poster online over the years that I try to have as little contact as possible.  I doubt the SD-60 is a real project with a real delivery at this point.  SD-9, same story, different channel.

Regarding the AML hudson,  we saw the operating unit at the ECLSTS last spring.  Like you said, Chuck, a prototype ahead of the real deal.  I have a friend here who placed a pre-order with accucraft for one at the 2013 ECLSTS.  Apparently, they didn't ask for money, so no one is really 'out' anything if accucraft doesn't make it.  Unless you gave someone money for a preorder, I guess.

I believe this will be a sensational locomotive, but more like how the Porsche Panamerican is a huge hit.  Only for a few.  50? I believe they could sell 50 of these.  Heck, fine arts models made and sold these out.  And that was electric only.  I suspect that what the poster failed to convey in his diatribe is that perhaps AML wants 50 preorders of the electric version.  My opinion of their electric trains has been low.  The reports of the K4 operation and the 0-6-0, along with the older 1/20.3 models has not been what I'd call stellar, considering the price tag.  I can live with an aristo steamer crapping out that I paid $450 for.  A $4500+ locomotive needs to be bullet proof, in my opinion.  Look at how the AML K4 sold (before the $800 liquidations).  The 0-6-0 electric is for sale at $800 PLUS 4 stock cars.  That tells me their sales have been dismal.  Again, these look nice, but I am suspicious of their mechanical/ electrical reliability.

I believe Accucraft could make and sell 50 units of the hudson.

Oh, and re: Seems to me that 1:29 scale is leading a slow death as there's only what? 2 players in it now??

No one is fully 1/29 scale.  But there are:

AML

Bachmann (that Peter Witt street car, if you count that!)

PIKO: Can we call their Euro models 1/29?

USAT: their ultimate series line

Mark, Your correct about Bachmann as I forgot that some of their rolling stock can be used as 1:29/ 1:32...heck, Ray has what?? 130 of their coal hoppers? (inside joke..I have over 600 :P )

Piko is a kind of weird duck as the 2 bay hopper, boxcar, reefer, ore car and caboose that's in the starter sets are made from the old MDC molds which are 1:32. Mainline America located near Gary, Indiana claims to have bought and brought back from Hungary the original MDC molds but now I see MainlineAmerica.com is gone..and how can Piko be using the same molds unless they cut there own which I highly doubt?? I never seen the TEE or the passenger cars that they've recently released so can't comment on those but I did call Piko America once and asked about scale...Lady that answered the phone said "All Piko products are 1:29 scale"... :huh:

AML wants Hudson pre-orders with no $$$ down...I find that highly amusing! I'll bet if they changed that to a 1:32 live steam & electric version it'd be here by Christmas 2014 :)     

I'm guessing he may have actually talked to someone else or just himself again. Nothing of factual importance other then he hopes he can get something that he preordered to be the first kid on the block. (maybe not even his??)

He was actually asking people to contact dealers and beg for product that he wants.

Shadows of his close personal sidekick that once spoke to Aristo I guess??

Today he seems all better???and his sidekick is back after promising to leave????

He just keeps bashing other manufacturers that want to make products for the rest of us. Too bad there's no active moderation on children there anymore. He needs help. I don't do that.

Not worth discussing further.

refreshing that you can just ignore them.

Yep same old sh*t with him...what I've seen of his latest is he pre-ordered 40 of the USAT Bi-Level autoracks..but the only pic he showed of them was 10 empty boxes. Then again when he has no layout to run them on what do we expect? I don't think he really owns any trains as its all his brothers. Anytime "he" puts on a show his brother gets all the credit.

Chuck, I think you may be right.  Live steam, for sure, the crowd there wants the 1/32 scale.  Honestly, I think it is a very iconic and beautiful locomotive.  If I had the means, and no kids college or house payments to worry about, I would be ordering one.  Just such a beautiful machine!   Then again, I wonder if they'll get that fin on the smokebox straight.  Ask Ray about the cowling on top of his Accucraft GS-4. 

600 hopper cars?! Sweet. I have to run my train around my track about 150 times to see 600 hopper cars!!

Clearly, there are people without real lives online who use the anonymity to their advantage and bully others in to submission.  The trouble is when you have a couple or three individuals who take over forums and all the decorum and respect goes right out the window.  I decided there were other things to do with my time, and moved on.  Seems a lot of others did as well. 

Mark..LOL on the 600 hundred cars  :lol:

That's a "joke"about a certain individual on the forums that always has more than the next guy. I have 6 Dash-9's...Oh yeah well I have 60!!

Yeah I do know about Rays GS-4 fiasco!

• 3 weeks later...

Joe,  I believe the AML GP-60 has been 'announced' for a while now.  Couple years at least.  I don't know when the hudson was announced, but the prototype sure was pretty and ran well.  It was live steam.  I rode a GP-60 on a general freight when I worked for NS.  Only freight I rode when I was working for them!  They still had 4 SD-9's on the roster then, too.  I remember getting up in the cab of the one in Chattanooga.  Seems like it was a low number, maybe 57 or something?

Chuck, I am sure that someone would pony up the dough for the working prototype.  After all, if they cancel the production, you have a one-off collectable that works.  And if they make it, well, then that pays for that prototype version, maybe.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Fairymead on order, original delivery date was October.  After several delivery dates came and went,  the distributor finally sent me a final bill and I am to expect delivery in ABOUT  two weeks.  I didn't order the fancy one, just plain black.  

When it gets here I'll do some posting on the Live Steam Category if anyone is interested.          

Nick Jr., I'm sure interested in any new loco...live steam or sparkie version!

Well another ECLSTS came & went with nothing new from AML except a drawing for a "new" GP60..Yeah that makes me want to run right out and pre-order a few!!?? I'd much rather see Accucraft make a 1:32 F40PH because then I could justify buying some of the GAL Line commuter car kits  :)

Still no AML stainless steel track though a dealer is advertising it for a winter 2013 delivery...seems like it was also promised for a winter 2012 delivery date?? And folks complain when MTH misses shipping dates??

Sales must be bad for AML as Accucraft has distanced themselves from that line...Gave them their own website...And they're blowing out rolling stock...again. I see where one of their "subsidiaries" named Custom Model Products is closing the doors...hmm...Not good :(   

I know you guys don't want it but I would have preferred all their equipment in 1/32 scale. I prefer modern stuff and they are making it. It's just in 1/29. So I buy it anyways. Now it may dry up? Seems like something weird is going on anyways. I wouldn't have guessed that they'd make the two scales. So is AML staying? I would like to see inside their trucks first before I commit to the GPs. I may have to get one and see how well they hold up anyways.

The new passenger cars are in 1/32 scale under the Accucraft name right?

Chuck,

I was talking with a buddy who was at the show and it appears that AML may be bidding to make the show cars for next year's ECLSTS.  That's good news since the AML equipment comes with metal wheels.

Just the other day,  I was commenting that I'd like to see an F40PH-2 made.  I wonder what really happened to the LGB P-42 diesel molds. 

Hey Mark, 

I hope that AML does get the show cars bid! Only negative is it took them over 16 months to get around half of the 2009 HAGRS cars delivered after the show.

I have been eyeing up a set of 6 Accucraft 1:32 30" aluminum passenger cars...I better get my pre-order in :)  

Chuck, I know exactly of whom you speak in a previous post.   I attempted to help some one asking for advice about the K4 on another forum.  When I posted video of both my sparkie K4's double headed and mentioned that I was fortunate enough to have a LS one,  he posted that he had 4 of them, and they are all defective.  I've NEVER had an over heating problem with mine and don't know of any else who has, and I know you had at least two.  Only a posting from another EXPERT that SUGGESTED it be so and was picked up and made into fact when there was no real basis for it, he even said it was a POSSIBILITY due to gearing.   

Mater of fact,  going to run my Pre War unit with a string of Aristo Heavyweights in the yard while I do more outside work.  If they stop due to over heating I will post so, if not  DO DA.                 

Mark,

Yeah your probably right about going with MTH passenger cars...And they'd sure be a bit more economical to purchase although there is one midwest dealer that claims on another forum that the MTH pass. cars aren't much to look at...Same dealer will charge $14.00 to ship 6 pairs of Kadee couplers...guess what?? No more business from me.

Nick Jr, 

Dang fine thing to be outside running trains! I can't as my layout is all gone as getting ready to move out of the corrupt State of Insanity called Illinois..We're only the worst state in the Union as far as being in debt..and can't pay the bills.

Jerry,

Me too! Over the years I've had many a different MTH passenger cars thru here. The last train was a set of 8 NYC cars and all of course pulled by my MTH J3a Super Hudson!

Just today I was thinking about Accucrap/ AML..Do those folks ever put out a catalog? Online or print?? Or are they so unsure of themselves that they don't want to be caught with a catalog of vaportrains??? 

I seem to recall catalogs being made at one point. 

Accucrap is not an accurate monniker.  Their models are very well done and their price point is well below Aster / Fine Arts Models.  Like everything else, they can be improved.

There's a reason for the low at one time price point as nowadays there stuff is getting high priced esp. the live steamers...and those live steam guys got plenty of complaints about their purchases. Don't hear of any complaints with Aster or even older Samhongsa stuff. 

Well, that is true.  I was really talking about the 'looks', but then again, I seem to recall there was a guy who had problems with the cowling on a GS-4.  Who was that guy?  Even complained about the shade of red.  Gosh, if only I could remember his name.   Seems like his initials were Raymond Manley!

The Aster stuff seems to be the gold standard for live steam.  Then again, I was told that Roundhouse was a great and easy locomotive to run.  Mine never ran well. Not even once in all the years I owned it. As a rule, though, live steam is cantankerous and needs constant attention.  Availability should be about 50% if you're doing it right.