Fine Art Model T1 disassembly

rbrown7713

Here are some pictures and sequence of removing screws and bolts from the FAM  T1.   The motors are huge and chain driven.  Both motors have independent chug pickups.  Two speakers,  and an electronic module.  Here is the sequence of removing screws.  Some took a little time to locate, but nothing that took magic.  Lead truck-1 screw.  After truck removal, exposed two more screws.  2 screws removed in front, 4 hex bolts removed on FAM name plate cover and exposed 2 mount screws.  2 screws removed from trailing truck.  2 hex bolts  removed rear main wheel brake levers.  2 very small brass wires must be bent to removed so that the trailing truck can be removed.   Remove 2 rear mount screws.   I could have missed something, but nothing that can't be found with a little looking.  I imagine that the other FAM locos are about the same procedure.  Bob.

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2106.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2108.JPG

IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

I might be a little off in keeping track of time, but I would estimate about 1 1/2 hours.  Maybe 2.  But, I am slow.  I have some track rollers coming to be able to run this thing to hear how good the sound is and if it is good, which I doubt, maybe I won't have to install new electronics.  Thanks, Bob.

Yes it is.  Boy, put some rubber traction bands on the wheels and it would pull the house down.  The triggers for the chuffs is quite a sight.  They have four machined orientation lobes on each motored axle, and the motors are in parallel.  So, It picks up chuggs from each set of piston action.  I wonder, if I use DCS, could I feed two sensors to the electronics in the MTH sound card?  That might be a question for Ray..  The MTH sound set for the T1 might already have taken that into consideration for the T1.  Bob. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was speaking of the Dallee electronics with two pickups.  The mth sound board and the file for the T1 doesn't need two pickups as the chuff sounds with one tach pickup emulates the two different chuffs for the T1. Bob.

The dcs sound file for the T1 emulates the sound for two sets of cylinder chuffs with only one sensor, so no need for two sensors.  I don't know what the sound would sound like with input of two sensors, probably a bunch of garble, that's my guess. Bob.