rbrown7713

Grills for scratchbuilt E8 locomotives

Here is a picture of the two grills for the Ralph Brown, bottom, and the Garich grill, on top. Also, here is the Garich istalled and mine installed. Both of these designs were used on the E-8. Bob.

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

I don't think Plano made the ones for Garich.  The ones for Garich required some brake work and I don't think Plano does that.  I don't know which co. did the Garich grills, but I will look.  Bob.

Well, I did some investigating and found Rich Garich, of Garich Light Transport, and talked to him on the phone.  He is a very nice man and told me the whole story about the making of the E-8's.  He told me that 30 of them had been sold before he and his partner had a falling out.  His partner was not interested in the E-8 and so the E-8 portion of the business died.  He told me that the grills were made by Echo Mountain by Jim Oliver and is now deceased.  He also told me that the grills have a line the full length etched into them for bending but still has to be bent with a brake.  I found out that the original silicon molds still exist for the E-8.  They were, before the disagreement, going to also make, E7's.  He was also involved in making some 1" gauge locos.  He also told me that he is modelling some fish belly rail. He also told me that the original pattern maker of the E-8 was a pattern maker for Hot Wheels.  He told me a bunch of other stuff, but I will let him tell the story if he wants.  That is about it, and It was a very interesting conversation and I enjoyed it.  Bob.

Very interesting find...thanks much!

See now the grills I need are the vertical Garich grills...

20200905_101813.thumb.jpg.45f1f7ff2651892924dad44201d382c3.jpg

Here's the grills that Rob Fern of the UK made for the 1:29 USA Trains F3's...

20200905_101828.thumb.jpg.b526b543703b12b0e6927d1f330bb2c7.jpg

Chuck, I just got an email from Garich and he said that yes, he only made the horizontal for two Burlington E8s and I have one.  All of the rest are vertical.  Both the vertical and the horizontal are the standout type and  have the bends in them with the tabs.  If I was installing from scratch, I would use a small mill bit in a Dremel and cut the slots.  I took a closer look at my E8 and that is what it looks like.  More like a slot cut with a Dremel by hand  and about a .020 slot.  He sent me these two pictures.  The last picture is my design and the grill fits into a pocket, a pocket that the Garich does not have. Bob.

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (7).jpg

IMG_2133.JPG

I am curious Chuck.  Your Garich kit that you have, what number and name is scribed on the inside?  It also should have an emoticon also scribed.  I am just trying to figure out if it is actually a Garich produced kit and not a copy. Please send me a picture of the shell, Bob.

I took a closer look at my Garich shell and I see what you mean, there is just enough recess to place a flat grill, my mistake.  However, they were only designed to install a standoff grill, whether they be vertical or horizontal grills. Bob.