Grills for scratchbuilt E8 locomotives

rbrown7713

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Chuck, the mold is nice.  I need the front nose door for a mold, the two cab doors, the center doors, and the rectangular fan shrouds on the top, the pipes,  all to make molds.  How about lending me those for a passenger pilot, I will send them back when the molds are made and any parts that you need. The B units are the same length as the A's.  The cab is cut right behind the door and then the rear of another A is cut off from the end and spliced. Voila, a B unit.

Chuck, Plano got back to me and sent a PDF of what he has. His etcher only wants to go 8 inches on the grill, but I am asking for 9 inches as that number works out better.  He will have to change the id of the shrouds because his id numbers are different.  48 inch fan shroud id  is .505 he had a different number. and the 36" shroud is .432 he had .490, so if he excepts these new numbers I will order some.

IMG_2155.JPG

Chuck, I put in my order to Plano.  I told Kieth to let you use my art work.  If you use Plano, I would check the measurements of the shrouds and the grills to make sure that they are the same as mine.  There were two molds made for the E8 phase 1 and phase 2, so just check the measurements to make sure they are the same. Bob.

I checked out my E8 and it is a series 1 and the mold is a series 2, so the measurements should be correct, but it never hurts to check. I have also bought 3 E8 shells and a Ralph Brown E7B and some parts that is kind of mangled, but I think that I can fix it.  As it turns out, the pilot that I got is a freight pilot, so I will have to create the cover to make a passenger pilot. It won't be too bad, I will have to re-create all of the doors, I have everything else.  Bob.

I have to make molds for some missing parts to the Garich E-8, so I have decided to take some hints from the experts as to how to eliminate air bubbles from the part by using chimneys to allow the air to escape. Here is how you do it. Here is what it looks like after the pour.  Bob.

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

Thanks Sean.  Over the years, I have been lucky in producing parts that don't contain air bubbles, that's because the shape of the parts were flat, but when you have parts that have varying heights, then the chimneys are necessary to release the air in the mold.  I have just started using this method because it was necessary to produce good parts and air free. I will be posting some finished parts in the future.  Also, I have changed over to silicone molds instead of urethane, makes better molds, but at a cost.  Here is the finished mold halves.  Bob.

IMG_2160.JPG