Grills for scratchbuilt E8 locomotives

rbrown7713

This is an example of a poorly designed mold.  I focused on designing it to make sure that the mold came apart and neglected to visualize the difference of heights of the mold, therefore I am suspecting that part of the plastic will run out and cause a void.  I tried to stop the leakage by enclosing it in the original plastic box in hopes that the plastic is forced up into the void.   This might be a lesson on how not to design a mold. After the part comes out, I will show you what I mean, and I will possibly have to make a correct mold. This is a mold for the fuel tank to the E8.  Now this will be really interesting to see how it comes out. Bob.

IMG_2163.JPG

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are the results of the the castings and they all turned out well including the poorly designed fuel tank.   Yes, the only missing part,  in a properly poured mold, is a sprue to pour the plastic, and on some molds that I make, I also use that method, this uses the squish method. Bob.

IMG_2164.JPG

Thanks Sean.  I poured these parts before I needed them, just to prove that these molds are viable and would produce good parts as they did.  I still have a few more molds to make. Thanks for the thumbs up. Bob.

Thanks Chuck, and I am how waiting for 18 more lbs. of silicone.  I just went through 18lbs. of silicone and only finished half of the molds. I am now back on the Superliner cars' trucks and people installation for a few days. Bob. 

Here is a little historical information having to do with the design of the Garich E-8.  The company, Garich Light Transport hired A&W Model Craft of so. Ca. to make the patterns and molds for the Garich E-8 and I was told that Lloyd Asbury of A&W MODEL CRAFT, used the Union Pacific E8--942 at the Southern California Railway Museum for the basis of making the pattern for the 1:32 model E8. In my estimation, he did an excellent job, here is a picture of 942. After reviewing the picture, I realized that Lloyd added skirts to the model, not shown on the prototype. Bob. 

UP942.jpg

Great info Bob as these Garich E8's deserve to have their story told!!

Here's some interesting info I found about the UP's E Units...

May 1950 UP received the first of 46 E8 locomotives (18 cab units and 28 cabless booster units) from EMD. (Deliveries continued through 1953)"

And....

"September 7, 1969
The City of Los Angeles, City of San Francisco, City of Portland, City of Denver, and City of Kansas City (ex-City of St. Louis) were all combined into a single train, known by railfans as the "City of Everywhere." Between Cheyenne and Green River, the City of Everywhere ran as a fully combined train. At times the train could reach as many as 27 cars and six E-units in an A-B-B-B-B-A locomotive consist unmatched by any other railroad."

Great info.  I can see it now an ABBBBA on my layout, oh boy.  I mentioned it before, but Lloyd Asbury, the guy responsible for the pattern and the mold, is the same guy that modeled many Hot Wheel cars and slot cars, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't yet verify as he disappeared to Mexico, unexpectedly?  Don't know what that was about, but this was told by his son.  It can be googled, he tells the story on some forum, pretty interesting.   I am getting ready to pour my first shell and I am trying to figure out what the best plastic to use. Bob.

I came right back to the plastic that I have been using all of the time.  It is from BITY molds, number 1512.  It gives me 20 minutes of pot life, that's 20 min. for mixing and pouring.  Sounds like a lot of time, but in this time it keeps getting thicker, so one has to be quick.  It cures in 16 hrs.  I will be pouring a shell tomorrow morning and hope that it comes out okay. I will post a picture. Bob.

Disaster struck.  My funnel came out in the middle of the pour, but I had enough plastic to continue.  All of the chimneys were full of plastic, so that means that the mold filled completely and should produce a good product. Bob.

IMG_2167.JPG

Yes, I think you are pretty close with the timeline.  I got scared for a time trying to remove the shell, as it was tight.  I finally figured out how to get it out, whew.  I know now why maybe the previous mold was torn, it was that tight.  Now I have to pour another. Bob.