Grills for scratchbuilt E8 locomotives

rbrown7713

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is yet another mystery with this E-8.  I am wondering what the question mark means marked on the mold box?  Did the worker that looked at the actual mold not know what an E8 loco. was? Open for suggestions. Bob.

IMG_2169.JPG

Well, I poured the second shell and it went without incident.  Poured 2 lbs. of plastic and the plastic showed in the vents and that was it, should be a good shell.  This time I will try to wait 24 hrs. It's hard to do. This pour is for the B unit end to attach to the A unit to make a B.  I measured the the end and compared it to my B unit and it matches up perfectly with the vertical battens.  Shouldn't see any seam. Bob.

IMG_2171.JPG

Thanks Joe, the only bubbles that occur is on the bottom rail and I cure that by using CA to fill and shouldn't be able to tell after sanding.  I have cut up two A units for the B unit and plan to make a mold for the B unit end cut. Bob.

Here is my design for the B unit other end mold design first section of the mold.  This is tough one, but I say that about every mold I make.  It would be a lot easier if it wasn't for the 1/4 inch roof overhang.  I don't, at this time if this is going to work, but we shall see. Bob.

IMG_2174.JPG

He hid a possible  uneven seam on the roof.  Here is the beginning of the second part of the mold and I think it will work well and the part will easily be able to be removed. I just saw, by looking at the picture why, in the original mold, he designed the mold to extend higher than the bottom rail was to avoid the roughness that I have on mine and I will remember that for the next mold.  Now, the part that comes out of this mold, I will have to sand out and repair the bottom rail. Bob.

IMG_2175.JPG

If you look at the end piece, there are angles that would complicate removal from the mold as it is hard enough to remove it, as it is, even with relatively flat surfaces.  Here is the mold almost ready to pour the second part as soon as I get some more silicone. Bob.

IMG_2176.JPG

Poured the second half of the mold for the end section of the B unit.  Most of the molds are complete for a complete E8  A AND B unit.  Still have to make molds for the brakes and windows. Today I will be making a drawing of the frame and all of the holes, lots of different size holes. Bob.

IMG_2178.JPG