Installing DCS in Piko DR IV BR50 REKO Steam Locomotive?

Yardtrain

I am a big fan of German steam engines, it seems that a reasonably priced mid size model has finally come into fruition from Piko. However I run all DCS and would like this to do that as well. The 'base' model is DCC ready, I want to take out that and convert it to PS3. Has anyone gotten one of these or opened up other Piko European steam engines that would know if its possible or If there is even enough room in it to do that?

https://www.piko-america.com/products/37240-dr-iv-br50-reko-steam-locomotive-g-scale

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 2:13 PM, Dash 8 said:

I don‘t  have the locomotive, but maybe the instructions will help you.

Piko Br 50

Regards

jan

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I do not see anything on there showing the actual motor. I am not sure if Piko uses flywheels or not

11 hours ago, Dash 8 said:

Bingo,

Gartenbahn Forum, Pius Job lives in Arizona and i found some Infos about this Engine

http://www.gartenbahn-forum.de/

https://i.imgur.com/zx0b45O.jpg/

I found the same photo as well of the motor. I don't see that there is any room for install a flywheel unless someone has any ideas. I also noticed the motor is 12v  I don't remember what the MTH motors are, Is it still worth it to do so? I would obviously prefer this engine to use DCS like the rest of my engines over using another control system.

I know that The USA engines don't use flywheels either and that usually flywheels are added to them so I assume it must be possible. I just don't have any idea how to go about that yet. So I guess that a flywheel motor would have to be added to replace the current one. I am not sure if anyone else offers that service besides Raymond  

On 9/14/2020 at 9:45 AM, Rayman4449 said:

I haven't looked at one of those for DCS install.

Few years ago someone sent me a Piko BR64 to see if I could DCS it and no way. Just not enough room to flywheel the motor nor mount the PS3 electronics. I'd think that German "superb engineering" would have had them engineer a flywheel into the design for the ultimate in smooth operation. I mean USA Trains includes a flywheel in the little 0-6-0.

1 hour ago, Rayman4449 said:

Based on that photo from Yardtrain (thank you!), that is not a good candidate to install DCS/PS3 in and not an engine I would take on for install.

28 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Few years ago someone sent me a Piko BR64 to see if I could DCS it and no way. Just not enough room to flywheel the motor nor mount the PS3 electronics. I'd think that German "superb engineering" would have had them engineer a flywheel into the design for the ultimate in smooth operation. I mean USA Trains includes a flywheel in the little 0-6-0.

thanks for answering, although it is a bummer answer. 

What motors do you guys typically install into non mth engines or what flywheel parts would I need to buy? I would still consider doing it even with the challenge.  

Unlike the BR64 at least, this has a full size tender for the electronics. As a long time dream of mind I’d like to think there is a way to accomplish this. 

Edited by Yardtrain

When I drive analog, a flywheel is helpful. When operating with DCC, it does not help the decoder. At small scales such as H0, MTH uses plastic discs for the speedometer reader.

Regards

Jan

1 minute ago, Dash 8 said:

When I drive analog, a flywheel is helpful. When operating with DCC, it does not help the decoder. At small scales such as H0, MTH uses plastic discs for the speedometer reader.

Regards

Jan

A flywheel is required for DCS, is it not?

11 minutes ago, Yardtrain said:

thanks for answering, although it is a bummer answer. 

What motors do you guys typically install into non mth engines or what flywheel parts would I need to buy? I would still consider doing it even with the challenge.  

Unlike the BR64 at least, this has a full size tender for the electronics. As a long time dream of mind I’d like to think there is a way to accomplish this. 

Far as I know there is no "off the shelf" parts for these unique conversions as most all involve custom machining to some degree.

Chuck Is right, difficult job 

A flywheel does not have to be made of metal. it's all about the Tach Reader on it. A disc of plastic also works. You do not need to balance the disc, it is light and divisible for mounting on an axis or cardan shaft.

Exampel, Hallsensor on Axles for Synchron chuff....

2 hours ago, Dash 8 said:

Chuck Is right, difficult job 

A flywheel does not have to be made of metal. it's all about the Tach Reader on it. A disc of plastic also works. You do not need to balance the disc, it is light and divisible for mounting on an axis or cardan shaft.

Exampel, Hallsensor on Axles for Synchron chuff....

The BR50 has a front and back motor I believe according to the parts list. How does DCS handle more than one motor? I’ve only had Hudson’s and GS4s apart and they have a single motor. 

5 hours ago, Rayman4449 said:

Based on that photo from Yardtrain (thank you!), that is not a good candidate to install DCS/PS3 in and not an engine I would take on for install.

This is another photo of the drive shaft that I am assuming ties the two motors together. Is it possible to use this as the flywheel or attach a custom one to it?

yvkLze2.jpg

Right as need both covers off to see what they look like. And since that appears to be a articulated drive(s) would need to see how much room is between the 2 when say like in a curve with full articulation. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following along with your discussion on that other website but I can't reply over there. 

Those folks are steering you in the wrong direction by suggesting adding a "disc" onto say a truck axle, Adding a flywheel to any other place than the motor armature results in an entirely unsatisfactory operating locomotive. I've tried adding a flywheel onto an idler gear once...no good. I also tried on the output side of a integral planetary gearbox mounted on a Pittman motor...again no good. I once added flywheel to a drive wheel axle...no good.