MTH Smoking whistle in Hudson?

Yardtrain

While I could technically get that setup working, it isnt something I would attempt to do. (either for myself or especially for others)  There really isnt a lot of room in the Hudson boiler and the amount of time required to do a well-done retrofit of mounting and sealing smoke unit etc would be cost prohibitive from a time perspective.  There is one aftermarket smoking whistle install that I have seen for O gauge was done so poorly it was no wonder the engine was sent to me because the engine stopped running.   While there was no excuse for the poor workmanship I saw, it underscored the time involved in doing such an install.  Also, given the number of things that could go wrong, it just isnt worth it in my opinion.  .

• 7 months later...

I just recently picked up a hudson from the MTH auction that I'm guessing was a model they tested new features on. It has a smoking whistle as well as a servo attached to a magnet underneath the bell and a magnet inside the bell so that the bell moves back and forth automatically. Still waiting on the WTIU to be released so I don't have DCS yet and haven't been able to actually test the whistle or mess with any of the additional features but if interested I can post some photos of the inside of the engine.

Hey now that's cool as I remember those features on a test Hudson from years ago! Can't recall if it was a York Show or maybe a MTH press release or video showing that engine...congrats!!

• 1 month later...

That is super cool. I would guess if they went through the effort to make a board and whistle for the Hudson they would have produced more than one. Makes me wonder if when they cleaned out the warehouse last year if there were any spares sold off. Has anyone seen one?  I watch eBay pretty closely and didn’t see any smoking whistle parts come up, Hudson or otherwise. 

jppilot, would love to see a video of it working once you get the DCS setup going. 

Anyone know when the wtiu is supposed to start shipping? The mth website still says Jun. I picked up an astron vls-25m for pretty cheap to power everything. Anyone tried one of these? As soon as I can use the DCS features I’ll post a video.

The auction website made no mention of the extra stuff in this one, I just wanted it because I thought the green Hudson looked cool. Half the stuff that was auctioned off seems to show up on eBay very shortly after for a significant markup over what was payed at auction so I’m guessing resellers are probably not looking too hard to find out if they have some sort of prototype with extra features, maybe some floating around out there.

I use a Astron VS-20M as a power supply on my test bench and it works fine for that. I had a VLS-25M that I tried on my layout and it did work for that but not very well. Those Astron's will "droop" under load. That is the output voltage will drop as the load increases even though they advertise the opposite. Bridgewerks output current will remain steady even under full load. 

• 2 weeks later...