NWSL Power Blocks, A detail look inside.

xl_special

I've been asked to give a detailed look at the NWSL power blocks. I choose the 6 wheel version to review because there's been a lot of interest in E-8's and E-9's.

The first picture shows the outside of the truck with the changes I made to make it easier to remove the block from the unit and grease the bushings. This change is not a good idea if you run in the rain. I drilled another hole for the wires, attached plugs and changed the way they are attached to the frame (just like MTH does). post-66-0-79057700-1392766540_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows the 6 screws which hold the two halfs of the block together. The basic block is made from ABS.post-66-0-25100800-1392766560_thumb.jpg

The last picture is inside the power unit. Notice all axles are driven and there's a flywheel on the shaft between 2 of the axles. All wheels have a electrical pickup and ride inside a non metal bushing. The gears are also non-metal, but in thousands of hours of running these, I have detected no wear to the bushings. Because I used to run with battery power, I ripped out all the electrical pickup wires (another dumb idea) The wires you see inside the block are not the way it comes from NWSL, they are after I put wires back in to have track pickup. All and all, these are a very powerful motor block and comes wih different wheel bases and different wheel flange sizes. If you decide to use these, make sure and order the correct wheels for your track. Hope this helps, Larrypost-66-0-43756100-1392766584_thumb.jpg

This is great stuff Larry thank you!!  I am very happy to see these are even available and to see a flywheel on them like this.  I stocked up on Aristocraft parts to keep mine running but in a pinch folks could convert to these if they had to and sounds like get a much more durable motorblock.  Sounds like a great investment.  So how much to the 2 and 3 axle versions sell for again?  

Thank you for posting that pic! Looks great inside, right Ray?

I've heard that they offered different flange sizes and I would choose the larger ones for stock Aristo track I believe?

The flanges pictured do look good. When I look on the store site, I only see a two axle powered truck.

If anyone wants to add command to these K-line trucks, one pick-up lead on each truck is tied to one tab on the motor. I believe that lead needs to be separated.

These motors are very weak and easy to stop just by rubbing the flywheel slightly. I'll have to see how the end up running and performance wise. I installed the new NWSL delrin gears inside each and will watch how they hold up as well.

I didn't mean to interrupt this NWSL truck post. By the way, those side frames look really good to me! Wish I would have known about them. I will probably get my hands on some 1/29 scale ones and chop them down.

I do wish MTH would have released more modern stuff like a switcher, Larry. It looks like you were way ahead of anyone I've seen posting on other forums with your work. I'm scratch building some and haven't mastered it yet.

At one time I owned some Great Trains F40PH's that had NWSL trucks under them. From what I can remember they had what looked like aluminum wheels, sorta like what Lionel uses. I traded them to my dear departed friend The_Other_Ray years ago for something  :)

WOW! With gearing like that I bet those K-Line loco's haul ass??!! Joe, did you happen to get the numbers off the motor while you were inside the drive?? 

• 1 month later...

Du-bousquetaire, there are two ways to get a 1/32nd scale E8 or E9. Number one, build it using either Great Tains or MTH F unit shells. Both come up on E-bay once in awhile. The second way is to locate one of the E8's that Garich Light Transport produced in the early 90's. They are as rare as "hens teeth" but they do show up once in awhile. One just sold on Ebay for a very low price. They are worth over $500.00 in any condition. Just have an active search going on ebay for "g scale-other-E8, E9". If you decide to go the kit-bash way, don't worry about the truck frames. I've made molds of them and will be happy to make you a set. If I can help in any way, just let me know. Larry

Good job of greasing them Jerry. If you ever wear out an axle bushing, I've got about 50 of them. I thought they would wear out quickly, so I bought a bunch. So far in 10 years I haven't had to replace any. Put a drop of plastic compatible oil on each bushing where the axle goes thru it. (LaBelle 102 works well). How's the Scalecoat Union Pacific yellow comming. Can't wait to see pictures of the F unit in Union Pacific collors. Larry

Say Larry, that is very kind of you to offer to help me on this one. I am kind of an afictionado of the E units having ridden behind them quite a lot in  early '70's Amtrack days between my school in NYU in the big apple and my mother who lived in the Boston suburb. before that time I rode behind FL9 on the New Haven when they were prime mainline road power and even remember riding behind a PA 1 on the old New haven in the sixties.  But in the seventies when I was in NYU I rode maily behind E 8 and E9, even when I would go to Hoboken to ride the Erie Lackawana. I just like long units. Of course kit bashing one from an MTH unit would permit to do an E7. which would fit my period better... i understand that ST. Charles station did some also. A French friend of mine who models the Santa Fe and SP (he built a tehachapi loop in his garden in southern France, went to see him in Montana I think, he (the ma is from Marseilles where the railroad station was called Marseille Saint Charles...

Yes St Charles did one, but WOW BIG BUCKS !!!!! Here's what you need to look for. The unit was built by Ralph Brown in the 80's. It was powered by NWSL E-unit trucks and was very close to scale (1/32nd). I don't know how many he produced, but I'd guess 10 to 20. I have only a guess as to what they cost new (maybe $700 or more), so you can see what a deal they are today. Keep your eye open on the "bay" and good luck.

post-66-0-39389500-1396058447_thumb.png

• 6 years later...

On 2/18/2014 at 10:14 PM, enginear joe said:

If anyone wants to add command to these K-line trucks, one pick-up lead on each truck is tied to one tab on the motor. I believe that lead needs to be separated.

These motors are very weak and easy to stop just by rubbing the flywheel slightly. I'll have to see how the end up running and performance wise. I installed the new NWSL delrin gears inside each and will watch how they hold up as well.

I didn't mean to interrupt this NWSL truck post. By the way, those side frames look really good to me! Wish I would have known about them. I will probably get my hands on some 1/29 scale ones and chop them down.

I do wish MTH would have released more modern stuff like a switcher, Larry. It looks like you were way ahead of anyone I've seen posting on other forums with your work. I'm scratch building some and haven't mastered it yet.

I should have updated this post.

The motors inside these K-line trucks are not weak. I had an issue long ago and forgot all about it. I did have to swap out all the gears which had cracked. These trucks are still running well with NWSL gears.

I had a set of NWSL 2 axle trucks on a scratch build of mine. One worm kept slipping off and wrecking the pulling power of the engine. I finally replaced those trucks with a set of MTH ones.