Rebuilding Kern Valley Railway 3 axle trucks

rbrown7713

These sprung heavyweight trucks must have been made from plastic that gets brittle over time because there is alot of breakage and warpage of the parts.  I am having to make new parts out of urethane plastic, so I might as well make the whole truck because most likely some of the trucks on the 3 cars that I have will eventually fall apart. Bob.

IMG_2206.JPG

I am repairing seven heavyweight cars, 3 J and M cars, and 3 Kern Valley Railway cars, and one of my own to be pulled behind the T1.  I am switching over to battery powered lights to get rid of the drag of the wipers on the wheels and making sure that they are well oiled to reduce drag.  That motor in the T1 is maybe too small so i am giving it it's best shot.  I just made some more parts for the trucks and will get another car on the rails tomorrow, I hope it works out well, Bob.

I got a used Aristo stainless pass car in years back. It arrived with a broken sideframe. Rather than complaining, I inspected it first. It was very brittle. I believe it matters where in the country things things run outside. In the Southwest, it gets real hot. I believe it cooks some plastics. I'm not sure about the Southeast doing it as much? I imagine hot is hot no matter where it's at.

These cars that I am working on are all about 20 years old and I think that the plastics that I am using today are better than they were then.  I have some old urethane parts that I have had for five years and they seem to be just as tough as when I poured them. Bob.

Here are two types of 3 axle trucks for heavyweights.  The green one is a J&M truck, and the black is a Fine Arts Models used on PRR cars.  The FAM truck has working brakes.  If I pull on the brake cable, all of the clasp shoes move to brake.  Unbelievable.  Both are brass and sprung. I want to add some PRR Broadway Limited passenger cars to my consist, so I am going to copy the FAM  Napoleon type PRR 2 axle trucks for the cars. Bob.

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG