Resistance Soldering

Over the years made several hand rails and steps soldering brass, the last was most frustrating so looked into Resistance Soldering. Found Micro Mark is offering a Resistance Soldering Set Super Value #87726. Has maybe all that you woud need to do small jobs. Received it yesterday and played with it a little to become familiar. It even came with scraps of brass and copper to learn the art. Sorry I didn't decide to go this way long ago, guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. If anyone wants to offer any suggestions how to make my learning curve easer, please do so. Thank You 

Jerry, don't say no.  Played with it some today and am glad I took the plunge.  Instant, centralized and VERY hot.  Those were on LOW.  I  surprised myself, was better using the carbon tip than the tweezer tip, need more practice with that one.  On HIGH it was like arc welding, got away from me.  After a few more play sessions going to make another more scale set of steps for the Shark.   

Sounds like a great tool..I've often thought about buying one! Sounds like when I bought one of those NWSL Choppers last year...That is wonder how I got along all these years without one. :Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):

Feel the same way about the Resistance unit.  Will surely make the future easier.  Don't know how useful for soldering wires, but will try for sure.    Recently ordered a Grounding Vise to help hold the items, need more hands than I was issued.  

Received the grounding vice.  It was a big help, not only holding the item securely, but was also able to get an accurate 90' angle on the step to the side.  AND the adjustable table made making the distance between steps as simple as turning a screw.  Still on the bottom of the learning curve, but encouraged to continue.  No buyers remorse here, and Sean, fingers have healed.   

DSCN2849.JPG

I successfully used the Resistance Soldering unit to repair the brake rigging on my G5. As can be seen from the pics, brake and line not only came off the loco, but bent. In attempt to straighten, it of course broke. Now I have 3 pieces that need to be soldered for this repair to be successful. I used the soldering pad which has the constitution of heavy styrofoam. I pressed the parts into it to hold them in line, then applied the acid flux and silver solder. The final connection was made when the parts were afixed to the truck. It does need to be cleaned up and painted, but am happy with the results. 

DSCN2894.JPG

DSCN2903.JPG