any good battery RTR sets?

enginear joe

I was looking at the Lionel sets for possibly running around my G scale in the winter. At first, I hoped for track power, and better quality. Something like their Polar express in O scale electric version with metal wheels.

Now I'm thinking of battery so I don't have to go out back and power up. Maybe I could plop the train on the rails and watch it run from inside?

Most of them look fairly "delicate". Is there a better choice and would run longer without wearing out?

I know I could get a battery car going for my MTH one gauge. I don't wish to wreck them in the snow. I have an old Bachmann set that maybe a better choice for battery. I just don't think it's worth the trouble of conversion.

I figure for less effort I could just grab a Lionel RTR set or just the engine and remote.

i think all the Lionel "G" Gauge sets have plastic wheels. For about a year now I've been eying up one of these. There's You Tube videos about it and the reviews seem decent. Search around as there is some deals on these and cheap big passenger cars.

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Remote-Control-Dampflok-Harzlich/dp/B007VEFWVU/ref=sr_1_37?crid=228HGVM22IOWF&dchild=1&keywords=g+gauge+train&qid=1612495765&sprefix=g+gauge%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-37

I do like that engine setup as it includes a rechargeable battery which I'm sure can swap out for a more powerful version.

Here's the cheap 4-pack of passenger cars for $99...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HSB-Harz-Mountain-Rail-Way-Red-2-Tone-Passenger-Car-Case-Of-4-G-Scale/323783241923?hash=item4b62fc30c3:g:uncAAOSwj2RbGaRJ