Diaphragms for Pullman cars

rbrown7713

The Fine Art Models pullmans have the full width diaphragms and they are too difficult to repair  so I am making the traditional ones to replace them. I have also found out if these are to be operational, meaning, actually in contact with each other, it is better to leave the center door section in them so that when going around a curve they slide past one another instead of getting jammed.  Here is the start of them, more pictures to come. I used a cutter on the cnc mill to make them. Bob.

IMG_2244.JPG

For those of us who don't have a CNC mill, this forum dating back to 2 April 2014. It describes diaphragms designed and made by Simon Duhamel.  Also suggests material used to make them and how to.   the link:     https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiHnOuVsuLuAhVfFlkFHbHuAuQQFjAAegQIAxAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gscaletrainforum.com%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F225-passenger-car-diaphragms%2F&usg=AOvVaw2uwe_f5tSsO52DooMMq7hF

I am after the same thing. In contact diaphragms that flex and look scale.  I don't do 3d printers, so the flex part on my diaphragms are cloth and are flexible. On my Superliners, the diaphragms are rigid and mounted on coupler springs and work very well while still looking scale.  They are much easier to construct.  These cloth scale diaphragms are much more labor intensive but they do look good.  I am finishing up the mounting of the diaphragms and will post pictures shortly. Bob.

Thanks Sean. Most of the looking real is attributed to the FAM cars, but I tried to make the diaphragms as real as I could.  The next test is to run them around curves, judging from the Superliner type diaphragms, these should do just fine. Bob.