FAM Cars first time outside

rbrown7713

I sat the first car down on the track and evidently I have a slight grade on the layout and it started to roll away, so very smooth and quiet.  Even thought they are heavy, any loco will be able to pull them easily. Bob.

I love when cars have real bearings inside. The Accucraft pass cars have them too. They just don't have that level of detailing.

I also put bearings into several USA trains cars I own. I have a grade around my back yard and the engines have to work hard for every lap. So adding bearings saves a lot of wear and tear on them.

Bearings make a big difference and also the electrical pickups also cause drag. I might remove the pickups on the FAMS to further reduce drag, but then I would have to add batteries and a switch, or go easy peasy, but what a job that would be.  Bob.

Looks very good, I estimate a length of 6 m , or more. The locomotive has to work very hard, there are a lot of amperes going through the Motors :)

I think, my Hudson woudn‘t pull it...

Great !

Regards

Jan

You said motors, there is only one small motor, I believe that it is a Northwest Shortline motor, 28mm, by 40mm. There are two Hudson gear  boxes that are modified to a straight shaft and I don't know the ratios. The wheels do not have traction rubbers. You have me wondering about the amp draw, so I am going to install an ammeter so we can see what is happening.  The motor is powering all eight wheels, so all eight are pulling at the same time. I believe many more cars can be added. The 3  FAM cars weigh 20lbs. each. The loco weighs 22 lbs., and all cars have bearings. Bob.

• 1 month later...