The Saga of my USA Trains Big Boy

benshell

Ben, Great video and nice looking layout!

Wow! That's a real eye opener with using DCC as I've been under the impression that it was basically a "plug & play" type of system. Now that I think about it I always read where large scale outdoor layouts have the components (power supply, cab & boosters) brought out to the layout instead of residing in a building and just the buss wires brought out...hmm. Never gave it much thought as to why but now it makes sense.

Yeah the Zimo MX10...That was really hyped up for awhile but never came to be. A lot of $$$ too!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I set up the Big Boy with my PFE cars again (during my open house I had no time for photography!) and I took a lot of pictures and videos. I just finished processing and uploading the photos (video to come probably in a few days):

14530878622_aa9aa4243f_c.jpg

14345244250_0c5b93f9bd_c.jpg

14345294609_0e1b18717f_c.jpg

14345300209_f497e74f2d_c.jpg

14345272730_02a4031195_c.jpg

Here are the rest:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/benjaminshell/sets/72157645423843035/

Ben, Great video and nice looking layout!

Wow! That's a real eye opener with using DCC as I've been under the impression that it was basically a "plug & play" type of system. Now that I think about it I always read where large scale outdoor layouts have the components (power supply, cab & boosters) brought out to the layout instead of residing in a building and just the buss wires brought out...hmm. Never gave it much thought as to why but now it makes sense.

Yeah the Zimo MX10...That was really hyped up for awhile but never came to be. A lot of $$$ too!!

Thanks Chuck! DCC is "plug & play" as long as you're within certain bounds. For larger railroads I've learned the hard way that you have to consider additional factors. It's worth it though. I don't know how it compares to DCS, but compared to the other major alternative being Airwire with Phoenix sound it's a lot less expensive per locomotive, and you can run anytime for as long as you want without charging batteries!

Ben, WOW!! Very nice layout! How long you been working on it?

DCS, Well since you asked it has virtually unlimited power going to the rails...whatever your power supply will put out that's what's available. I always used Mag25TDR's as all 30 volts & 25 amps is there to use..if you need it. Just fuse the power leads going to the rails as to what you need whether it be 5 amps or 20.

I have used DCC before. Digitrax "Super Chief" w/ Radio throttles and I tried the MRC Prodigy system. MRC was terrible and the Digitrax set only put about 16 volts on the rails. My Aristo Dash-9's didn't run very fast. So I went back with DCS and never looked back. What I did like about DCC was JMRI & Decoder Pro..2 fine programs!

I recently tried the NCE Gwire & QSI Titans w/ batteries. I had problems with the NCE throttle sticking horn button issue...same as when I tried Airwire & QSI Magnums back in 2007?? Sold it all. I still have a QSI Quantam DCC Reference Manual that I had printed out & bound at Kinko's from about a year ago...all 421 pages. If you want it I'll send it to you.

Beautiful, train, layout and pictures!  This is honestly I think the first time I've seen anyone post pictures of any quality and quantity of the USA Big Boy.  (I have a number posted but not many in action on my layout.)  Thanks so much for sharing :) 

I was going to reach out offline about maybe posting some of the detail you shared on DCC in another thread because I think it could be good reference for others looking for information and as Chuck I think indicated had never heard some of those details before.   That's the kind of information people need to know so they can go into a planned DCC deployment armed with the right information from the get go.  (was going to recommend reposting to keep this one from getting off track). 

Yeah will briefly add I think what you were talking too maybe as well was cost, kits with the Protosound board for the engine plus all wiring harnesses and wires, plus all lights with connectors is $180.00.  The TIU (Track Interface Unit - ~$160.00) which is the device that adds the track level communication from the wireless remote can be run in Passive mode (which is what I do and recommend everyone do) which allows unlimited track amperage (only limited by the power supply as Chuck said). 

Back to the BigBoy, again great work and your layout looks excellent!  I think this is the first time I've seen it at this stage of completion, you have really been working hard!  That engine too is just really impressive :)