Timing strip adjustment for different gear ratio

rbrown7713

I am switching the complete sound system from one loco to another.  The gear ratios are different.  The original loco ratio is, 11:1, and the target loco ratio is 8:1.  The number of pulses required for one cycle of chuffs, (one rev. of the wheel)  is 275.  25 black lines times 11=275. To transfer this cycle to a loco with a ratio of 8:1,  the same number of pulses is required, so 275 pulses divided by the new ratio of 8:1=34.   So, the new strip of lines will have to have 34 lines instead of 25 to achieve the correct cycle of chuffs per one rev. I printed out 68 spaces therefore 34 lines.  The circumference of the new flywheel is 5.4 inches, so the 34 lines had to be arranged within the 5.4 inches. If anyone has any info. that I missed, feel free to comment. Here is a picture of the strip. Bob.

IMG_2277.JPG

Or you can just use any old tach tape and adjust the chuff rate via the DCS remote to where chuff's pretty much match up with driver revolutions. Tach timing tape really only needs to be refined when trying to speed match loco's for a lashup.

Adjusting chuff rate via DCS Remote...Have engine queued in screen then push menu > hit sound with scroll wheel > scroll down to chuff rate and hit with scroll wheel then you'll see 1,2,3,4 all the way up to 16. Highlight what number you want to try via depressing soft key under value. When I say hit with scroll wheel I mean depress scroll wheel for enter.