Lionel diesel motor blocks?

enginear joe

The GP20 uses a 2 motor drive but the GP9 uses a single motor with a o-ring going from the powered axle to the dead one. Why they did that is beyond me as they're both basically the same engine :huh:

Here's the GP20 drive....

post-23-0-67745700-1393545349_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-08891100-1393545408_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-68777600-1393545418_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-35876600-1393546089_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-83602500-1393545432_thumb.jpg

Oh, the cam/ microswitch is what tells the prime mover sounds to ramp up or down as the RailSounds are pre-TMCC era. The later engines are TMCC ready as they're setup to plug in all components...but I've never seen one of those.

• 3 years later...

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that the reason why they dropped the second motor and put a O ring drive instead is because of the very high current draw on the motor. The engine with four motors draws anywhere between 3 and 4 amps which is huge. On my GP7 I replaced the wheels with ones obtained from NWSL and they improved the current pick up considerably, as well as the scale aspect of the trucks. However the amps these motors draw means that to run smoothly at slow speed for a certain amount of time I have to 1° clean the track with the LGB Bright boy , 2° clean the wheels that get oxidised through arcing, and 3° run only in very dry weather. But the loco has real nice slow speed and with these provisions will run reliably at slow speeds for about a week before it needs another wheel cleaning. Obviously pick up shoes could make a very big diference. However I find that affordable 1/32 early diesels not being too numerous on the market, it was definitly a great buy. Mine cost me $50 bucks! it is the period limit for me as I model PRR up to 1957 when they scrapped the last steam locos. So it is the most modern unit on my system. On this photo you can see part of my coal drag with the new coal loads which I described in the forum on Piko  2 bay hoppers.

P1060312.JPG

• 1 year later...

You know after tinkering with the old Lionel large scale for years, I think the wheels they used were really a sintered iron product...still a crappy design esp. when used in a power pickup situation. You'll have to search the NWSL website.