Saddle tank w ore cars

Screwy Nick

Jan, you called it correctly, and the couplers are USA Trains.  The sound is produced by a 'Chuffer'.  A little device that replaces the stock exhaust tube with what looks like a Pipe Organ tube.  

Greets.     

Nick, Thanks for the explanation, I don't know anything like that, the chuffer is new to me, very interesting. I've looked at this on the net.

Summerlands Chuffer…

Thanks

Jan

Another tank locomotive.  Roundhouse 2-6-2T.  Notice the improved site glass built right into the boiler instead of the inaccurate small diameter glass tube.   Weather is still good for plumes.    This little guy is narrow gauge, built by Alco, sent to Europe to haul Ammo in WWI.  I read where it was refurbished and is still running.  

mED%1AMJRO64X0zpACCmPg.jpg

just as a note, and not meant to take away from your post... (BTW: I like your elevated RR for it's ease of maintenance)

I had waffled over battery or live steam for a train to run in the winter months with snow on the rails.

I never moved forward. I just don't run outside in the winter months.

I am very content with track power. I can run several big consists as long as I desire. Flipping polarity isn't a big deal for me. Done at the start when engines get oriented in their consists. (PS3 engines don't need it.)

I do like the freedom of battery. I think I'd go battery now if I was just getting started. Heck my new car is electric.

I think the bigger issue is all the crap that falls on the rails over the months.

If I had the money, I would have moved to a country side property with more area. I would dictate what trees are around my rails. Not the blackberry tree of my neighbor on the property line on now have!

Off to go cut the overhanging branches again....

The elevation was a necessity if I wanted to continue playing trains.

I used Dewalt batteries in a trailing car for my logging locomotives, and had great success.  The rails you are looking at are inside loop is Stainless Steel for the electrics and the outer is aluminum for the live steamers.  I have only once used anything to clean the SS track, and that is like you my neighbors tree drops very sticky sap that if picked up with the wheels will just cause continued problems.  Battery powered does away with all those worries, accept when it picks up the sticky stuff and then a tiny pebble.  You can spot that immediately, fun to watch.  

Keep running those trains.