3 cyl Shay w logs

Screwy Nick

Hi Nick, great video, I've never seen it like this before. I improved my skeleton a bit, bigger wheels, couplers on the frame and some color and rust. These are all parts from the leftover box.

Regards

Jan

C9A5160E-778E-4D58-8065-0DA555ED57BF.jpeg

5EEF02BE-343D-433C-859A-00531A688BD2.jpeg

D42CF50C-B83F-423F-B91A-4AFB5A427CA8.jpeg

50D822AA-2EF2-48D7-865F-E13AEF61530A.jpeg

9301A6E7-2171-4A2B-ACD4-6CE3FE2C184B.jpeg

1BBA381A-5B9B-4B99-829F-98C2D0B53291.jpeg

12F41FA2-B48C-4977-B2C2-2014750819A2.jpeg

0D3B1C8A-1E7B-4C5E-B3CC-CFB90BD017B9.jpeg

7FC0C092-EEC4-4749-9E7C-09773EEB2200.jpeg

Jan, you are inspiring me to build my own disconnects, thank you, just the boost I needed.  I am in awe of anyone who can apply weathering to look real.  Also I'm still looking for a stripped maple tree.   

Hi Nick, that was my intention, you are a great model maker and you can do that. I can only glue wood together, maybe I'll build another skeleton with the Kadee Archbar Trucks, but not now. Disconects from Accucraft are super good, but for me too big, that doesn't fit with my other stuff. The striped maple is available in the nursery, Bug needs one to water.….:)

Regards

Jan

You succeeded, and definitely not great, the camera is very kind to me.  I found some LGB Archbar side frames, a good place to start and at a reason able price.  Hope to make them match the ones I have with Link & Pin.   Bug is now 2 and still hasn't figured the proper male position.   

Hi Nick, I stumbled across an interesting picture. The picture shows different trucks. Mostly you can see the older models, but here they run together with the newer ones. I don't know what type that is.

Regards

Jan

3862C53C-2652-4E3D-9FE3-A605421B969C.png

Great shot of a mixture of ages of cars.  The only name of the newer I could find was either American or Coil truck, maybe someone on the forum can help.  I remember seeing in an old film of a distribution yard.  The square lid on the trucks were all open and as they passed a yardman had a pressurized can and was squirting oil into the journal.  The box contains WASTE, shredded cloth material, which holds the oil and is slowly wicked onto the axle.  I have to assume someone down the line was closing the lids.  

Keep on Trainin'.        

Jan, the LGB trucks came yesterday.  Seem good or the price.  Need to send for a few more Link & Pin coupler set ups, if I can get them.  So many providers of small parts are gone now.  If not I guess I can mix a string of knuckle couplers as well.  The closest to weathering I can do will be lightly spraying them with paint similar in color to rust then going back with a brush and puddling paint in the corners.  The further away you are, the better they look.   

eCySBYeLS6OAXCX5RdJZlQ.jpg

Hi Nick, I'm taking a matte black. Rust and dirt are color pigments. Breathe on the bogie, then dab the pigments. That's the trick. Finally, a matte clear coat. Good luck

First dark brown, then rust and finally light dirt and always breathe first. The pigments then hold better on the Trucks. The brush is then flat....loss...:)

Regards

Jan

See if I understand:  Breathing on the subject leaves a bit of moisture for the powders to adhere to, always wondered why they just didn't blow away.  Do you breath between colors or do you have to do it quickly before they completely dry? And the pigments are dabbed on with a brush?  doesn't that disturb the already applied powders?  Sounds like this requires a light touch,  artistic ability and the eye to see it, all are beyond me, but willing to try.  Off to the hobby shop for dark brown, light dirt and rust.  Before the clear coat, if I don't like the look, can I rinse it all off with water and start all over??   This may seem basic for those with artistic background, but to me it's always been a mystery, thank you for explaining how it is done.

All right, the pigments are dry and just lie on. You can wash that off with water. Fixing is only possible with clear lacquer. You use your models outside . I do not fix and  touchn’t the bogies after . Wheels  are the same Job.The pigments are spotted with a short and hard brush.

The Picture shows it.

And another example off doing this on an Beer Can.

Try it…

Regards

Jan

01D40244-A1E8-47BD-BD32-2E63EC6DB468.jpeg

86583A6A-3505-4A13-8B5B-8543343BDDF1.jpeg

Jen, my cars are handled, a lot.  so maybe I should paint them instead.  Also changed the design, instead of Disconnects going to make cars like you have, and use knuckle couplers for all accept the end of one so can join the other ones.   thank you again for the tutorial on how to weather with pigments.  

Sean: that paint looks interesting, but may be a little dark as I like the rust look.  

Plenty to choose from, should find one I like.   Also realized I don't need couplers.   The disconnect trucks come with a coupler on both ends, and the ones facing inward (under the logs) will never be used, and since they are LGB also, they drop right into the trucks I received.  Just called and ordered 33" wheels for them, again to match.  Waiting for a breeze so I can drag the table saw out and rip some cedar for the car parts.