Steam Leak

Screwy Nick

I developed a steam leak on a loco.  Not a big one as the burner can maintain 20 lbs pressure, but no more.  I can just hear it with my aids turned way up.  Ran it on rollers but the weather was too humid to see the vapor.  Luckily had fittings in the spare drawer to make an adaptor to take the place of one of the pressure relief valves so I can charge the boiler with air to get up close.  The leak is from the banjo fitting for the pressure gauge.  It was aimed to vent the steam under the boiler wrap so I thought the leak was the boiler itself.  Now need to locate proper size seals.  Have to be very careful as only 2 1/2 threads actually grip the boiler.  Being lucky is good.  

JxDe9zmuSmK3YMSoydRHew.jpg

I found the banjo nut is not being allowed to screw down hard on the seals because of a little extender in the boiler.  I removed it, shortened it 1/8" to allow the nut to grab another thread.   DO DA.   Doing a pressure test found the mini gauge doesn't leave the peg till 10lbs pressure and carried that difference through out the range.   Tested to 60 lbs,  one happy steamer.

KRpHbe5pRmuGpYgqXgx7UA.jpg

pEHEwmfeRLeYaVMvySmXGQ.jpg

KvV%qxxQQEmwZGb%E+tbXg.jpg

uA7C%7UcQ8WKSl4s3WVNIg.jpg

eHV8kZLNTWG4tjq05NZPuA.jpg

Hardest part of this one was finding the leak.  I was fearful that it was actually a boiler seam that let go.  This one has a ceramic burner that produces much more heat than the standard poker burner.  And when I ran it had the bypass open all the way so the axle pump wasn't adding water to the boiler and it ran pretty low.  Had it been the boiler I would still be in the disassembly process.  It's good to be lucky.

Yes, excellent runner, minor issue! The ceramic burner can be difficult to re-light once it is hot.  With a flame at the smoke box convection will cause the gas to burn right there and not pop back.  I bought a  piezo BBQ replacement kit, now I shove the tip of the igniter down the flue to the burner, clip the other end to any clean metal, and POP, it's lit first time every time.  Have also used the piezo on the K4 which has two burners and at times one will light while the other one will get stubborn.