Logging cars

Dash 8

The Westside Lumber has rebuilt the old Skeletons, which are the models of Accucraft.

West side lumber

The Skeleton log cars are narrow gauge. I have here a picture with standard gauge bogies, which was a small series manufacturer from Germany, I think Dingler or similar, that's brass. I don't have built data. But it looks like Accucraft.

Regards

Jan

25F3F154-E126-4EB6-AC19-30B2ACC9E9C3.jpeg

D52CFCD5-92E6-47C9-AAAE-C581282F3D7E.jpeg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jan, they are similar to the Accucraft cars.  Pics on the site looks like the center beam is steel, but I can't get close enough to be positive. Accucraft seems to be out of them.  Are those G scale? 

About 10 days ago, on another thread you inspired me to add to my logging string.  No real craftsmanship involved here.  LGB trucks, link and pin couplers from the Disconnects that will never be used as they face inward, and Bachmann 33" wheels.  Went to hobby shop for structural steel piece for the center and cross beams.  BUT I do like the look of the wood center beam, more to my era with the link couplers.  Most likely change my mind several more times before doing it. Chain on the pin is functional,  if I don't secure the pin it will disappear, as so many of them have. 

UlotpD5qT+CA2G4ztMkPgQ.jpg

Hello  Nick,

That looks very good. I have another tip for some dirt on the edges. Take a short hard brush with light paint and strip the paint on paper until the brush is almost dry. So that then set accents, slightly dab in some places. This is called dry paint. this gives a nice effect. The skeletons at the top of the picture are 1/32 with standard gauge trucks. But I don't have them. Good luck, try makes smart :)

greets from Moritz to Bug 

Regards

Jan

9839F278-AF19-4725-98F1-0CB217770665.jpeg

Hello Nick, I have another skeleton, made quite simple, plastic wheels, everything built according to a sense of proportion, or build by eye. I want to age it a bit, Trucks and Wheels, I'm curious how that will or looks. These cars have never run before. 

Regards

Jan

F887BB4D-49A6-40A4-ACCC-2818FAC09CB1.jpeg

Dirt on the edges, I'm going to try that, first have to work up the nerve. Heck if I mess that up can always just spray over it,    Your car looks good to me, you have a good eye for proportion.  If I build something by eye, looks like it came from 'The Far Side'.  Bug says HI.   

DSCN3169.JPG

Jan, this is the best I could produce, and I cheated.  Had an old jar of Refer White that has totally settled out.  I stared up just a little and did what I think is a dry dab on the truck?  Too much?? Critique please.   

nPquv2hOTIiV%shYJ6UStg.jpg

Hi Nick, you're on the right track, I like it. I attach a picture of the dirt splashing on the truck from below. I would now make a few more places black, the axle bearing covers and the springs. Ready :)

Regards

Jan

1BC7E0A5-1F21-4433-83B5-FB9B0E751341.jpeg

Jan, this has taken every ounce of artistic muscle I have.  Not to mention taking the pic in the most flattering light I could find. I here by invoke the 10' rule, that we G scalers who have no artistic ability use when all else fails.   

Bug sends well wishes to Moritz & Max

KHmQadj3QtuPy2eAF%Y%dQ.jpg

Hi Nick, what are you building right now, Skeleton or .... ? I found another nice picture, maybe it will help you build. Interesting color for the wood, gray.

Regards

Jan

7084504F-009C-412B-BF19-3EF7CDC971B2.jpeg

A5F3CB0B-304D-48CC-BC23-A134DEB37054.jpeg

D4E6D40E-8092-4B77-887E-88C0D1483189.jpeg

Jan, ALWAYS in the mood for trains.  Those are very interesting and detailed pic of logging equipment.  I see where I am missing a cross brace on my trucks, will have to add that to them.  I am assembling Skelton cars, but allowing for some creativity of the local loggers.  Meaning they are mostly scraps from the junk box of plastic shapes. Still can't seem to locate the stripped maple, but still looking.  I may try to make some from foam.  AND I still have 11 side frames to weather, that's the hardest part of the project.  

Great,
Hello Nick, ok striped maple is not in stock, an alternative is a pile of boards like in the picture. And you can take the eyelets for fixing. I think an interesting Alternative.

Regards

Jan

F66DF3FB-AC5D-4BCE-8A09-8BB81ED935DB.jpeg

That is an amazing pic, I never even imagined RR cars could be transported by cable car assemblies.  It must have been quite a bit of savings doing it that way rather than hauling them down on rail, considering the cost of building the cable assembly.  And how strong everything would have to be built.  Thank You for sharing.

Hi Nick, I translated some text with the cable car, For this load I bought 600 stems for ice cream made of wood. These are 2x10x100 mm. Hopefully it will work…:)

Aerial cableways were rather rare and inte-
Part of a forest railway network.
The technical effort was rel. large, so that
it was only worthwhile to use it if great effort had to be made with the rail. A classic example of such a "cableway" was commissioned from 1903 by the Michigan-California Lumber Co., near Placerville (California). In 1930, the cable car was rebuilt after a fire.
The cabin, called "cage", ran with a total of 36 rollers on 4 cables of 51 mm diameter each. From the "North cable" to the "South cable" station, a distance of 853 m was overcome, with the highest point being 365 m above the American River Canyon. The payload was 13 to 17 tons. The 4 wire ropes were tensioned with weights of 60 tons each.

Regards

Jan

I would like to recreate these chopsticks as a board load. Unfortunately, they are too short, there must be something underneath, maybe a few bars next to each other or.... no idea yet.

Regards

Jan

F3C32F88-F6EC-4593-B8A7-2062BCFB46F6.jpeg

Jan, sorry I just saw your recent posting.  Thank you very much for the translation, now I need to learn the conversation Meters to Yards, have a table book marked as I'm horrible with math.  

That car looks fantastic.  How about two stacks or bales, one fwd and one aft, like shorter lumber instead of real long planks. I'm sure you will be able to do something with them, and there are so many.  Keep us posted. 

Hi Nick, no problem, on Thursday our cat died, 21 years old, we are all sad. I translated some of the text, the skeletons also transported boards and beams. I still found beams made of oak, had built track with them. I think they can carry the stacks of boards. Provisionally cut here, think that's possible.

The felled wood was brought by forest railway to the sawmill of Pino Grande and processed into boards and beams. These were then led by the forest railway to the cableway, where the "log cars" were decoupled and loaded onto the cable car. On the other side of the valley, the wagons were taken over again by the forest railway and led on to Camino, where a large sawmill and planing plant stood. In 1949, the Cableway suffered another fire and was no longer built. The timber transports were moved to the road, 2 years later the forest railway was also abandoned.

I sawed the oak beams to 8.8 inches. Between the bars come spacers for the right width.

Regards

Jan

5334F4CB-ED84-417A-8536-831BCB891EE5.jpeg

5A587F2E-D385-465E-889D-F28BB5A6AA35.jpeg