Logging cars

Dash 8

Jan, I am very sorry for your loss, and he/she looks like a sweetheart.  Our companions become part of us, I morn the loss.   We have a saying that we will be re-united with our companions on the other side.  I do miss all of mine.

Car looks great, I knew you would find a way.  and THANK YOU for the further translation.  Really interesting, I'm going to have to look for a similar book here.  Maybe the name of the logging company and location will help, you already gave me that information and there was something at the bottom of one of the pics.  Looks like you are going with the Link & Pin couplers on this run of cars, yes??

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Chuck and Nick for your warm words, this was our last cat, we had 6 in 35 years. These were all Turkish Angora, the name is Wada.Today I cut, sanded and glued a few ice sticks....a life's work, there are still 10 on it, all together 400 pieces....:)

Regards

Jan

Forgot, sorry, Nick I only have this car with link and pin.

30A54446-8008-4F1A-9924-7570DA13B775.jpeg

8D9CE7C5-DEB6-48A7-BE10-845E608580FC.jpeg

Jan, was looking at your project again.  How about:  The large cut timbers on the bottom like you have, then gradually levels of smaller cut lumber.  Like they were sending a mixture of 'cuts' like a special order.     

Hello Nick, that's exactly how it's meant to be, a wooden order with beams and boards, I don't always find the right words. That will be high, about 30 boards.

With the beams I built my tracks and switches, these are the remains, this is oak.

Thank you

Jan

D03C1973-72CA-4762-896D-AE9924E26B38.jpeg

You have hand laid track AND switches, something I've never attempted.  I got so frustrated hand spiking the track on the barge I was tempted to set it on fire.  The second time tempted was the weathering on the sides. LOL  

Hi Nick, Gauge 1 is very expensive, I tried to keep costs low, everything I have built is made of wood, signals, buildings, turntables, lamps etc. Not everything was good, but I was satisfied. If you recreate things in a simplified way and leave out the details, you have already won. If you want to build all the details, you've lost. That's a matter of the head..:) Make things easy, and you'll have fun.

Regards

Jan

Sean, thank you, we'll see what comes... Today I did something different, a little break from the woodwork. I don't like the plastic wheels anymore, and they seem too big for my eyes. I shortened the Truckbolster by 4 mm. The new axes are from AMS. When the glue is dry, everything is assembled. The same job as the first .

Greets to Bug

Thank you

Jan

10932AC8-4989-452B-935B-5D805F56C95D.jpeg

485F07D5-8D35-4E09-A898-DFE23B24F769.jpeg

F8B9BF70-7BDB-480B-B730-42C34160732B.jpeg

66713510-9212-4E2B-A9BA-5F1CBA91F9FC.jpeg

E64CFB9C-8DD0-439A-ABD0-BFC2A752DA4A.jpeg

That 4mm makes a BIG difference, look so much better.  I also replace all the plastic wheels with metal, and makes the 'clicking' sound on the rails. The sight, smell and sound all enhance the hobby.  And I am improving each of my senses, one at a time to maximize the enjoyment.  

Bug sends well wishes to Max & Moritz and I'm sure they also miss Wada. 

P5200019.thumb.JPG.b2044c2abca89bee70ce2c9caa6073de.JPGOk the Pomeranian ( he has a hair cut is 13 years old)

The two horses are Mini Horses the white one stand about 3' tall they're 3to 7yrd old we think 

Sean, that dog looks great for 13, must be the hair cut. Horses are cool, friend has a miniature horse, just a bit bigger than a Dane.  But he has an attitude, I was informed all the mini horses have that problem. He'll purposely step on your foot.  

Jan, looks like that special order load is almost ready to go, just has to be tied down.  Supervisor seems to have it under control.  

Hello Sean and Nick, I also think that the dog looks younger, normally he has a lot of hair, I was a bit irritated. Nick, the charge is only half finished, the picture does not show that, now I'll take a break ... Thank you for your answers.

Regards

Jan

Good evening, I hope all dogs and horses are doing well.   Nick,what do you mean by binding, as in my picture certainly not. Okay, little fun has to be. I am an old miner and try it with turnbuckles, steel anchors and a cross beam, the turnbuckles you see in the second picture, made of 2mm brass tube, this is a nerve job... Let's see how all this is soldered.

Regards

Jan

0E3D8DE6-B867-4D31-9BCB-E7F1EC3419D2.jpeg

67C3EE17-B7E4-41BC-AFE2-BB58A3E0EDF4.jpeg

Jan, Binding, I guess you are making note of my Red/White cross connection wire.  Would certainly be an attraction if tied with ribbon.  I really like those turnbuckles.  I assume the binding material would be drawn from each side to the center then secured with a knot?  or is there more to them.   Very creative, going to copy that when I get better logs.   

Hello, small update today, not done yet....

Hi Sean, thanks for pictures. This method is modern, but not what I want to do. That didn't exist at the time.

Nick, I think this will be different, for tree trunks I would take chains, how Is Bug ?

Regards

Jan

B85ECB32-976B-4FD4-8216-E594A18B6425.jpeg

Jan, chains around tree trunks for sure, have them on the disconnects.  Just not ready to use what I have left for this load as hoping to find 'better' trees in the future.  Bug had a terrifying experience two days ago.  I was watching him in the yard very interested in something, then jumped back and he ran over to me like his tail was on fire.  I went to see what frightened him,  a Tree Frog, at most 1 inch long. He gathered up some nerve and got closer while I was there.  He's got to grow some man parts.