USA Trains - Big Boy - Photos & Video

Rayman4449

Wanted to get a post going sharing photos of the USA Trains Big Boy.

This has to be the most impressive Largescale model manufactured to date.

USATrains-BigBoy-010215_0008b.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0002.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0003.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0004.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0005.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0006.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0007.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0010.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0013.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0014.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0015.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0016.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0017.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0018.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0019.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0020.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0021.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0022.JPG

USATrains-BigBoy-030314_0023.JPG

Most recent install of Protosound 3 in USA Trains Big Boy.  (Using updated sound, USA Trains smoke units, 4" speaker installed in tender)

It's too expensive for me too!  

LOL Mark ;-)  

Sure thing Ben!  If you need up close pics of certain parts etc let me know I'll take whatever pics you need and send them to you.  Just let me know what I can do to help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,new to the site,I love it very much,very informative with the vast amount of info on G Scale,I just took order of a new Big boy 4014,nice engine,but have some minor issues when on the track.

seems to run great moving forward,but when I put it in reverse it does not want to move, or it moves very slow,the sound is very faint when in reverse,and also I have to turn the dial on the power supply about  3/4 of the way, before the sound comes on in reverse,and that's when it began to move,unlike when moving forward, I  only have to move the dial about 1/2 way and the sound comes

on,and after the sound comes on,I just move the dial a hear from the halfway point,and it began move.could it be the tracks need cleaning or the drivers,need to be cleaned?,I also noticed the rails were slightly bent.  

It sounds like the drivetrain has more resistance going in reverse than forward and is thus drawing higher amperage (ie. more power) in reverse.  If the engine has been run some before the difference you see may be related to the fact it's been broken-in so to speak going in the forward direction and can now run easier forward.  The fact that you are hearing lower sound levels the part that puzzles me.  Perhaps the gauge wire is too small or the wire connection points aren't very good and you're seeing voltage drop because of the higher amps?  Outside of that I'm not sure.

based on what you're saying,what I decided to do was clean the drivers,and tracks.I tested it,and now all of a sudden it seems to be working,when I put it in reverse.

so I think what was happening with the drivers,and track not being cleaned, it caused the amps to set higher in reverse,causing the Loco to work harder.

thanks,Ray

• 2 years later...

Has anyone tried to run this engine on tighter curves? I read they need 20' curves minimum? Will it run on the Aristo 16' curve for example? I avoided buying this as I think my curves are too small. It is tempting to replace my outside mainline curves.

I like the MTH Big Boy, I can lift it by myself. USA is fine, if you can keep it inside and run it out on some track to your layout. Two man job to carry it otherwise, well two old guys anyway!

• 7 months later...