MTH Triplex - Erie (Black) (One Gauge) - photos

Rayman4449

Continuing the photo posting, here is set of pics of the MTH Triplex - Erie (black boiler) version (One Gauge).

For more info see the following pages:

Additional Photos and Product information page:  http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH_Triplex.htm

Repairs/Modifications page: http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH_Triplex_mods.htm

post-16-0-75890700-1394088109_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-37840800-1394088127_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-74659900-1394088130_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-90595300-1394088133_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-51425100-1394088115_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-41833500-1394088118_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-38905700-1394088121_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-23255400-1394088124_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-36991900-1394088112_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-83521300-1394088136_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-11331000-1394088140_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-52335400-1394088143_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Ray

I have the Triplex Virginian and was running it yesterday learning. It's new and a 1st time run. It did very well until I had a switch issue .:Very_sad_emoji_icon_png_large(24x24):

I think????:Thinking_Face_Emoji_large(24x24): it's the sliders that you refer to on this engine but before I fool with it I want to get more advice  please.

The engine at fast speed went through the switch but the amp meter peg and to me indicated a dead short, and the engine jumped.

At  a slow speed the engine stopped.:Very_sad_emoji_icon_png_large(24x24):

This occurred at all 4 R-5 LGB switches..

Soooo I put black electrical tape on (see picture) and all was well for about 4 laps. Then the tape was ripped or scared ( see pictures)and it started stopping again.

What do you think? Take the sliders off and start bending until I get it right?:Flushed_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):

Thanks much for any help

Larry:Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

Hi Larry:

The problem you encountered is somewhat common.  Unless the sliders are perfectly level and aligned they can get hung up in LGB switch frogs. The exact same thing happened to me a few years ago the first time I ran my new Triplex.  It also happened to the sliders on my old MTH F-3.  Ray came up with a solution on his webpage at http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH_Triplex_mods.htm#Triplex_sliders_caught_in_switch_frogs   But unless you get it exactly right, you can still have the problem or worse (when one of my F-3 sliders got caught in the frog it also shorted out the motor!).  I have come up with a great way to avoid this completely without using tape.  I made plastic inserts from a scrap piece of thin (about 1/8" thick) plexiglass from Ace Hardware.  They are about two inches long and about 3/16" wide.  I made one tip pointed at the same angle as the frog.  I simply slide an insert into the frog channel with the pointed tip aligned with the rail, allowing enough space for the wheel flange to pass through.  With the insert in place, it is impossible for the slider to drop down and get caught.  You want to make the insert wide enough so that it fits in tightly so that it doesn't come out.  I made about a half dozen of them so that I have enough for all my switches whenever I run my MTH engines.  Note the you can put them on either side of the frog depending on which track you want to use.  Since the plastic is clear they are almost invisible so they are not ugly or distracting and won't tear like your electrical tape.  Note that the LGB frog channels can warp slightly in the hot sun over time, so I made inserts of slightly different widths so that they would always fit tightly.

Here are some photos:

LGB Switch Frog Inserts.jpg

DSC03788.JPG

DSC03789.JPG

DSC03790.JPG

I sure appreciate your information John.

This is the 1st Engine I put on the lay out.

I was getting worried being brand new in this scale. I have been accumulating  engines and leaning very mush to MTH DCS. I was concerned my Hudson, Big Boy and several others I have on order others would be doing the same thing the Triplex was.:Flushed_Face_Emoji_large(24x24)::OMG_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):

I worked yesterday several hour fooling around with  Rays suggestions. I have not tried to run it yet. (RAIN):Very_sad_emoji_icon_png_large(24x24):

I have plenty of scrap Plexiglas laying around and can easily copy your idea.

Once again Thanks much.

East TN.

I had one used MTH engine do this. I bent the slider so that it was level with the track. I have never had this issue again.

You do have to look at the sliders periodically. I do it at the beginning of the spring season running outside. I oil and lube stuff and basically give stuff a quick look over.

You're welcome Larry!  Let me know how they work for you.  Ever since I shorted out an engine from slider drop, I just don't want to risk it again by depending on the sliders being perfectly aligned since the only way to test them is to run them over the frogs.  With the inserts, I NEVER have to worry.

Thanks Joe, I will learn to watch them.

John, I think I was lucky and didn't mess up the engine. I also screwed up and forgot to put the inline fuses from the power source that Ray sent me. That won't happen again either.

Trains ARE always giving lessons. Some good , some not so good. lol:Wink_Emoji_large(24x24):

Thanks guys

John , Joe

Once I got into checking all the sliders it was obvious that most of them had problems with being level and some bent way to much left and right.

I straightened them the best I could . I also made the plastic inserts as you suggested John just in case that didn't fix the problem.:Thinking_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):

I put the engine back on the track and did not have a single issue with it on any of the 4 switches.  I even ran it through the switches both ways.

SO the Rock Creek RR is ok with the Triplex.:Wink_Emoji_large(24x24):

I'll keep the plastic inserts available if needed.

Once again thanks for the help guys.

Larry

I can say from experience that if you have sliders catching in the frogs then it is because they are unlevel (front to back and side to side).  If you get the sliders close to level then you wont have issues.  If you level it out and still have problems then that is usually indicative of a slider screw that isn't tight/secure when screwed down.  In some rare case like that you can add just a tad bit of super glue or something to help ensure the post stays solid in place and you should be fine.

Thanks Ray

That super glue may come into play on down the road . Two of the sliders don't want to tighten up real good  giving me the impression the threads are stripped.

We will see.

I did even think about applying a wee bit of lock tight but didn't .

Larry

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, John Carmichael said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but to what are you referring Sean?  Is the paint job on the Triplex incorrect?

The bright shiny metal bracket ( with the bar code even ) holding his shelving together..

• 2 months later...

I maintain the factory geometry of the sliders as much as I can to save all those hasles too. It is very important to good operation. They have to be parallel to the railtop when looked from the side, in the correct plane transversly and also horizontal transversly. If you get that right you dont have any problems. I also watch out for the screws holding the spring they have to be screwed home otherwise it may short out on points and that can fry the spring (it just heats it red! After that the spring is useless.) This happened once when the engine was new and never after.