Introducing myself - and a Danish gauge 1 freight train

The car body is taking shape ...  :)

Here one side wall and the end walls are glued and held in place while the epoxy sets. The side wall was slightly warped after the layers were glued together, so I use a straight piece of wood to straighten the side and some pieces of rail to keep everything in check.

post-559-0-68661900-1429310399.jpg

Wow  :blink:

Just got back from the first day of the national MR show.

I had the car on display, and it caused quite a bit of attention with the audience. Lots of pictures taken, lots of questions asked. Very cool.

Then I went to show the build to the guy who did the laser cutting, and walking across the exhibition floor with the car in my hand, I was surprised to be flagged down more than once by the seasoned model builders who wanted a closer look. One even wanted to shake my hand. Looks like I have a great model in the making ...  B)

Jens

• 1 year later...

Been working a bit more on the guard's van.
Having found the free CAD program that I'm using for that other project, I'm now designing some of the details I need next.

The car itself now has a roof made from wooden strips, and the floorboards on the end platforms are also done, although they're not in the picture.

cu_tag.jpg

The car body must be supported by struts from the frame - 9 on each side. They're fairly delicate, so the prospect of making 18 pcs. by hand has held me back.
However, one hour of 3D CAD resulted in this model:
mun1.jpg

The roof overhangs over the end platforms are supported by some intricate brackets, and while I do have those in etched brass, they're too coarse for my taste.
3D CAD once again:
mun2.png

The roof vents from the 6 compartments are available, but the toilet vent I need to make myself. I'm eyeballing it, as I don't have the drawings or measures.

mun3.jpg

The inner parts of the roof vents where the passengers may open and close the vents are clearly visible on a large scale model, so I made those too:

mun4.jpg

All the models are uploaded to Shapeways and are being processed as I write this.

By chance I found a local shop that offers laser cut acrylic at reasonable prices. Clear acrylic is hard and clear as glass.
A quick 2D drawing and here comes my windows which fit into the pockets in the veneer sandwich walls:

wind.jpg

Moving forward again ...

Jens

Great models Jens, the workmanship is superb. Great to see some other fans who run digital in the garden in Europe. Although I use DCS because it is with MTH diesels and electrics. My European are still analogue I use both with an Aristo Craft train engeneer. of course it is an either or system. Keep up the good work.

Have you met the people at the hotel Krogen in Denmark? They model in gauge one also.

Thank you.

I've met and know several of the people there, yes.
They've formed a new club - the "Spor 1 Live Steam Team" that has built a modular layout to participate in shows and exhibitions. Nothing fancy on the layout, just a straight dual track oval with sidings and without any landscape so it's easy to clean after a weekend of live steam.

They hold international steam-ups at the hotel layout, which are attended by people from all over the world.
I've still to figure out how you get a 1:32 scale live steam on a plane, but there you go :)

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for the parts from Shapeways - which I've just received notice are on their way - I've been painting the interior.
It's green. Very green. But that's pretty darn close to how it was on the prototype :D

The painting job was a bit awkward, and I should maybe have painted the parts before assembly, but the result is nice.

IMG_0232.jpg

• 4 months later...