TouchCab - running trains from your iDevice

Hello all.

When I introduced myself to this forum, I linked to a video from a hobby show where my gauge 1 club attended. The question was asked if a train in the video was being run from the phone, and I replied that I have made an app for iDevices, with which you can control your layout - if you have the right brand of command station, that is.

For the record, my app is called TouchCab.

You see, it took a while for me to start digitizing my locomotives, but when I finally got around to it, I never looked back. Having a background with computers, hardware and software, the next logical step was to try to attach a computer. What I discovered was that while the software packages available for the purpose may be technically formidable, they are not user friendly in my opinion. Even with a tech background, I found myself struggling to make a simple network connection.

I told myself I could do better, and since I have a Mac at home and the developer tools are free with it, I set out with a Mac app. About the same time Apple opened for third-party apps on their iDevices, and I very soon switched to this platform. TouchCab was born.

This was back in 2009. Since then, much has happened, and there are several apps out there, but usability is still a problem, I think. While there are plenty of tech-savvy people in the hobby, there are even more 50+ users who do not have a particularly technical background, but just want to run their trains. They may not know what an IP address or a CV is, and neither should they have to.

DCS from is new to me, but it appears MTH have made a great effort to hide away the tech and let the user play. Well done, gents, I say.

What I try to do is the same for DCC.

I can't make a living from this and I don't expect to any time soon. I do take pride in having made an impact on the hobby already, and I am not done trying.

Thus, I am an associated member of RailCommunity, a European association of digital equipment manufacturers, joined for the purpose of improving the end user experience of digital model railroads.

My approach to an app or computer program is to include less features, but to really excel in those that I do include. Showing how it can be done and how easy it can be for the user is my contribution to the hobby.

I'll be happy to answer any questions here, but support issues should always be addressed through the TouchCab website.

Best regards

Jens

post-559-0-70865400-1395689025.png

• 2 months later...

I also missed this until Raymond's reply just brought it back to an active topic. This app looks very nice! It won't work for me because I use MERG DCC equipment with JMRI and the Android Engine Driver app, but I'll be sure to mention this as another option when I talk to people! I really like the Engine Driver app, but your interface looks nicer and easier to use.

Thanks, guys.

I try to make it very easy to use.

Many of my users are 50+, and many do not have networking and computers 'in the blood' like the new generation does, so ease of use is paramount in the development. Making the app control a train is not exactly rocket science, but making it all easily accessible is sometimes more challenging than you'd think.

Jens