Several DCS questions

VinceL

I'm in the process of building a 2 level around-the-room layout.  The upper level is G scale and the lower level is O gauge.

I will be running DCS and Lionel Legacy on the O gauge.  I want to run DCS, MTS, and Conventional on the G scale.

I have several questions:

1. I may want to use 2 channels of a TIU for G scale and 2 channels for O gauge.  Can you run AC on 2 channels and DC on the other 2?

2. I expect to have 3 TIU's and would want to run in Super TIU mode.  Will that be a problem with one TIU split between DC and AC?

3. I believe MTS is AC.  So, I couldn't run it along with DCS (assuming I am running DC).  If I decided to run DCS in AC, would I be able to run MTS and DCS on the same track (like you can with DCS and Lionel Legacy)?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I just know some of the basics. There are others here that will help out much better.

I run O and G in my basement. I ran the G gauge at first with DCC before switching to DCS. They won't work together on the same rails. TMCC/Legacy and DCS add the signal on top of the power to the rails where DCC chops the waves of the power supply.

I ran AC at first when I switched to DCS. I was told the signal will be stronger with DC so I switched the layout over to DC with a Bridgewerks. It runs great, but it ran fine with AC. I was preparing to go outside with the G scale anyways.

I was told not to power the TIU with both DC and AC. To clarify I'm not sure if they meant just the aux input for TIU power or each channel but I never tried either. I started with one TIU for both layouts and bought a second when I converted to DC power on the G.

I have two TIUs now which I've split between G and O. Even if I had three, I'd only need one for G as the signal travels much better in G gauge! ??? I have had more troubles tuning the O gauge layout than the G. Once I split my large mainline so the signal didn't double back on itself, the G gauge has been easier to maintain.

As I acquired many O gauge engines that sit on the track sidings, I've noticed I need more TIU channels for better signal. I imagine if you bought 50 G gauge engines, they would start soaking up the signal too. I suspect it would be the larger track layout, wiring, and sidings that would be needed to fit them that does the signal soak problems to the # of tiu channels needed.

Hi Vince,

I'm not certain if you can run DC power on some TIU channels while running AC on others.  If you can run the TIU with both types of power (which is really the only question), then you can certainly run in Super TIU mode with all of them.  The type of power wont be relevant for how it actually operates.  

I haven't personally tried to run LGB's MTS and DCS at the same time so I'm not sure if you would encounter any issues.  I would imagine you can give it a shot with little worry of any risk.  

Regards to wiring I have written on this extensively on my website you are welcome to review my findings:

http://www.rayman4449.com/DCS_Tips.htm

Raymond

That is my understanding and if it does run with the modified sine-wave AC power then you may not be very successful getting it to carry a DCS signal.  I'm not sure that the power itself would cause a problem with the engine boards, but not sure communication would be that great.  Only one way to find out tho right?