MTH DCS Remote & TIU firmware: v4.30 (*Outdated version-5.00 is avail*)

Rayman4449

See this thread for most current DCS Remote and TIU firmware versions: www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/693-mth-dcs-remote-tiu-firmware-v500-current-version/

**OUTDATED as of 1/1/2016

Wanted to share that the latest version of the DCS remote and TIU firmware is now available.  (Updates as always are free of charge.)

(As Joe noted below if you have Lash-ups you may want to recreate them after upgrading if you want to gain access to the new Softkeys created)

dcs4.30.jpg

You can download direct from MTH here: www.protosound2.com 

OR

You can download the .Zip file here:  DCS v4.30.zip

(**Note: You do not need to change or upload anything to your engines.  This is software only for the Remote and TIU.**))

For instructions on how to upgrade the TIU and Remote software see below or my website: 

http://www.rayman4449.com/DCS_Tips.htm#DCS_Software_and_Upgrade_TIU_Remote  (also see my website for info and photos for needed cables, additional information and troubleshooting.)

Step 1: Updating the TIU

**When updating to a different version of DCS software in your TIU and remote, you should always start by updating the TIU first.**

• Connect your TIU to the computer using either the 9 pin serial or USB cable (Your computer can already be booted up)
  • Plug the 3.5mm stereo audio cable ends into the TIU's "Proto-Dispatch" & "Proto-cast" ports
  • Connect the power supply to the Fixed 1 input port OR connect the Aux power supply to the Aux power port on the TIU
  • Start the DCS Loader program
  • Close out of any unnecessary programs or applications and do not use the computer while the update is in progress
  • Click the load software to TIU Icon
  • Carefully follow the instructions on the screen. (it will instruct you to connect the serial cable and 3.5mm audio cables)
  • Then select the "*.tiu" (example: "Tiu4p30.tiu") file
  • The update process should start and will tell you when you are finished

Step 2: Updating the Remote

Once you have updated the TIU software to the version you are wanting to use, then update the remote.

• Connect your TIU to the computer using either the 9 pin serial or USB cable (Your computer can already be booted up)
  • BE SURE TO REMOVE the 3.5mm stereo audio cable ends from the TIU's "Proto-Dispatch" & "Proto-cast" ports
  • Connect the power supply to the Fixed 1 input port OR connect the Aux power supply to the Aux power port on the TIU
  • Start the DCS Loader 2.xx program
  • Close out of any unnecessary programs or applications and do not use the computer while the update is in progress
  • Ensure your remote has good batteries and test it by turning it on.
  • Ensure the remote is off before you get started
  • Connect the remote to the TIU with the 4-pin narrow phone cable.  (Be sure to plug the remote into the Remote input port NOT the AIU port!!!)
  • Click the load software to Remote Icon
  • Carefully follow the instructions on the screen. (it will instruct you to connect the serial cable and remote cord)
    • NOTE:  When instructed to press the power button on the remote, the remote should remain off.  If the remote powers up, it's not detecting it's plugged into the TIU.
                   See below steps for troubleshooting.
  • Then select the "*.rem" (example: "remote4p30.rem") file
  • Follow the instructions on the screen
  • The update process should start and will tell you when you are finished.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Version 4.30 New Features

The following new features have been added into DCS 4.30:

·         The management of lashup settings has been completely rewritten to allow accurate and repeatable retention of settings. A new soft key, “FSVâ€, has been added as the first lashup soft key. This allows lashup settings to be changed and then retained from the time a lashup is created, through its operation, shutdown, and subsequent startups.
·         When adding an engine that's already in the remote, the message "Engine in Remote" appears, the remote returns to the engine screen and displays the engine with which a conflict was found.

• A new TR screen soft key, “MSVâ€, allows setting a starting and ending voltage for "ALL TIU Tracks" just like individual TIU tracks. By default, "ALL TIU Tracks" start at 1 volt. Additionally, individual TIU tracks also start at 1. volt instead of the 5 volts as previously. This allows for more effective conventional engine control layout-wide.
  • A new TR screen soft key, “MSVâ€, allows setting a starting and ending voltage for "ALL Z4K Tracks" just like individual Z4K tracks. By default, "ALL Z4K Tracks" start at 5 volts, witch is the lowest voltage available from a Z4000 transformer. This allows for more effective conventional engine control layout-wide.
  • The following lists now also support direct access to entries by keying the item’s 1, 2 or 3-digit DCS ID#: TR List, Track Setup Edit/Delete,  Accessory Setup Edit/Delete and Switch Setup Edit/Delete

Version 4.30 Resolved Issues

The following issues have been resolved in DCS 4.30:

• Previously, if a PS2 or PS3 engine, when operating in a Super TIU environment, is made Inactive and is then attempted to be made Active, it would not come out of the Inactive Engine list unless it was on a track connected to the TIU with which it was last associated. The workarounds were either to perform a READ; delete and re-add the engine; or physically move the engine to a track connected to its associated TIU.

This issue has been corrected. The engine now is able to be moved out of the Inactive Engine List and also to be made active.

• Previously, â€ENGINE ERROR" would result when attempting to add an engine that had the same DCS ID# as a lashup that was already in the remote.

This issue has been corrected. The engine now is able to be successfully added with the DCS Remote.

• Previously, when operating in a Super TIU environment, increasing or decreasing speed by turning the thumbwheel faster than very slowly could cause speed to go change in the wrong direction or not at all.

This issue has been very much improved.

• Previously, the time that “Out of Range†and “Engine Not On Track†messages were displayed was long, as was the time that the remote locked-up while displaying these messages.

The time that these messages are displayed have been considerably shortened.

• Previously, when editing a scene’s accessories or changing a Scene’s name, one could not  scroll to the second Scene to select it if there was more than 1 Scene in the remote. It was necessary to select the Scene by keying its DCS number in the Scene list.

This issue has been corrected. One may now successfully scroll to any item in the list of Scenes or, alternatively, still access an entry by keying its number in the list.

• Previously, if TIU #1 was in Super Mode, all TIUs were in Super Mode and if TIU #1 was in Normal Mode, all TIUs were in Normal Mode.

This issue has been corrected. Any engine that was added to a TIU that is placed into Super TIU mode will operate on all of the TIUs that are in the DCS Remote, regardless of whether a TIU is in Super TIU mode or Normal TIU mode. However, any engine that was added to a TIU that is not in Super TIU mode, will only operate on tracks connected to the TIU to which it was added.

• Previously, sometimes, when attempting to select the System menu, a different menu was selected instead.

This issue has been corrected.

I also read that to utilize some of the fixes for the lash-up's settings to be retained, (obviously?) they will need to be rebuilt. That way they will retain their settings. I'd have to try it after I upgrade. Has anyone else tried? I'd like to check out that new softkey feature.

I haven't yet but that would make sense as the softkey assignments are something made when the engine is added and in the case of a lashup, it's added as an engine entry when it's created.  So good point!

Ray,

Do you know what fixes/upgrades the version 2.32 loader includes?

I upgraded my 2 remotes and TIU's to 4.30 using the 2.30 loader and didn't have any problems with the upgrade.  Of course, I don't have my layout operational yet.  So, there may be problems that I haven't discovered yet. :unsure:

Hi there,

Loader v2.32 brings back the ability to pull a sound file from an engine and save it on your PC.  My guess is there was that and maybe some other minor changes.

With DCS v4.00, they rolled out a whole host of enhancements that really improved a number of things.  There were a couple of things that were affected and is what triggered the need to produce later versions but with what they've fixed with 4.30 (Lashup and add-engine conflict, and the Super TIU engine issue), those were the only outstanding items I knew of myself that I was aware of and so far with each of these recent releases, they have been rock solid with not introducing any additional issues.  I'm really happy with where it's at right now.  They are about to introduce the Android/Apple app here shortly that will allow you to control via an tablets and phones so that will introduce another whole way to interface with our trains.  Can't wait!