Lionel 4-4-2 Atlantic

markoles

So I set this up and got it rolling on rollers and then did a late night test July 3.  No problems.

July 4, I did a follow up bench test and nothing.  No power no nothing.  Then I remembered about the springs.  So I pulled some out of an old LGB unit and installed them.  Got it out on the track, ran two times around.  Parked it to do other stuff, and was about to switch it off, when I noticed my other engines were blinking like when I have a short circuit.  Then I saw the smoke coming from the Atlantic.  I'll open it up tonight and see, but I have a feeling I smoked the power input wires from the pick ups.  I think the insulation melted and then the wires shorted out on the motor itself. So, I will be looking at that.  I'll probably need to use heavier wire and create some sort of thermal blanket to keep the wires from touching the motor.  I could also look to replace the 12v motor with a 24v motor. 

I removed the motor cover last night, expecting the worst.  Instead, what I found was the springs must have gotten so hot, they started to melt the plastic, which is where the smoke came from.  I removed the LGB springs and shoes, but now am pondering my next move. 

Do I seek a replacement DC motor capable of handling 24V DC or do I source new springs and operate this at a maximum of 12-15 V DC?

I would add heat shrink to the wires near the motor if you want to add extra protection, I wouldn't add anything around the motor that would prevent heat from dissipating from the motor.  The key is understanding what caused this and what is going on.  Are you thinking the motor is getting that hot to melt the insulation?  Were you running the engine under a heavy load?  Is the motor completely encapsulated in a plastic box with no way to breathe/dissipate heat?  What was the amperage draw of  the engine on the bench test under no load an under the varying ranges of voltage?  (should have very little amperage draw)  

If the motor wasn't pushed hard with a heavy load and it has the ability to breathe and dissipate heat then I wonder if the motor is/was already burned up and is drawing high amps and generating an excessive amount of heat from that.    Also, does the engine seem to be geared really high where it doesn't seem to have much pulling torque when under load?

I think the assumption here is somehow the root cause is running the engine above 12v which I'm not sure is right.  I think there are other factors at play here.

Ray, the motor seems to be ok.  At least, I do not smell any of the burned electrical smell. What I did find was the springs holding the brushed tight against the tire had lost their strength.  I suspect that when the springs heated up under high amp draw, a gap was able to form between the brush and the tire.  This small gap may have allowed a small arc to form, which will have very high amp draw. The locomotive was not under any load at the time, just itself. But, I was running it at full speed, which would have been 23 volts.  I don't have an ammeter to measure the pull.

I did a quick bench test last night, and applying power to the leads got the headlight to work, so I believe the problem was the power pick ups over heating due to too high a voltage for the motor.  The motor is open to the full interior of the boiler shell.  It should be able to get the air it needs to stay cool.

• 4 months later...

Life got busy the second half of this year, and I have been letting Chessie sit on the shelf.  Today, I opened her up and tested the REVO controls and sound, everything is good still.  So I turned my attention to the power pick up point.  The springs and brushes ride in regular holes drilled in the plastic motor block housing.  LGB and Aristo both have the springs/brushes riding in brass tubes, so I pulled some out of a spare LGB motor block and started fitting them.  I need to trim about 1/8" off the tubes so they clear the tires.  I also located a brush housing I can add to the lead truck as another pick up point. It does not look like the motor ran long enough to get hot, but the amp draw through the power pick up point was enough to melt the springs, as described above.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered just adding a battery to run the REVO? All this complex wiring goes away.  I have and my Atlantic with the RCS/RailLinx battery system for 10 years , turn-on the switch and go run trains! I updated the pilot, trailing truck and tender wheels from Gary Raymond. Still have those funky aluminum drivers.

Don

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys!

I was able to run this engine a little around the Christmas tree this year.  I wired up a new headlight and added some red/yellow lights to the firebox.  I also moved the headlight up and added a PRR 7002 number plate.  Batter power is not ruled out yet for this engine. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Don! 

For now, it appears the track power pick ups are working.  I am using a first generation REVO in this Atlantic, which has that huge 6 capacitor board attached to it.  But if and when it ever becomes evident to me that my set up is no longer working, I'll get in touch with you.

Thanks!

Mark