Bridgeworks and tiu

I am looking at the bridgeworks 10 or 15 amp power supply.  I read the tiu is rated at 10 amps. if that is the case would the 15 amp fry the TIU? I run 300 ft single track with meh gg1, v1000, f3 and two lighted passenger cars > any suggestion would be appreiated

Hi Jack,

Each channel maxes out I think at about 12amps but I would say 10amps @ 24v (So figure 240watts).  Do note the amp rating on the bridgewerks power supplies are @20v so 20v x 10amp(for example) = 200watts.

Yes as Jim said, just run your TIU in passive mode and bypass the amperage restriction, that's what I do on my layout.  It also ensures your TIU is immune to shorts if one does occur.  

Direct link to the Normal vs Passive mode section on my DCS Tips page:  http://www.rayman4449.com/DCS_Tips.htm#Use_of_TIU_to_provide_signal_to_track:__Normal_vs_Passive_mode

If I was in your case I would consider what is the maximum amount of trains/amps you may likely need and maybe the next largest power supply if you can afford so you have the necessary headroom for future growth.  

Hope that helps.

Raymond

Not to counter Ray's advice, because he's who I listen too....but....you could also....

I have a single MAG 25 amp Bridgewerks hooked up to my TIU right now. I put 10 amp inline fuses right after and it jumpers to channels 1 and 2 with those fuses on each input. That way I still can use the kill switch on the remote. I never go above about four or five amps with three or four engines running on a track in a consist anyways. When you turn up the volts, the engines don't draw as many amps. Not more than 24 at the track!

When I get a bigger outdoor layout, I'll probably go passive. I bought the key chain kill switches on Ray's site already for then.

That's good idea too Joe.  

Here is the remote power cut-off I use to cut power to the power supply if there is an emergency.  

http://www.rayman4449.com/Power_remote-cutoff.htm

I don't know that this particular model is still available but I have seen items just like it in Home Depot and other hardware stores.