E8 with new sounds

This is incredible!! I'll take two! What sound file did you use?  Have you been able to get it into run 8 yet? I'm looking forward to the next video. If this doesn't motivate me, what will? Good work rbrown7713.

The E series, with an A and B unit took the place,  power wise, of an ABBA of the F series, two motors each in the E8 a and b.  Way more power than the F.  The bell and horn sounds quite a bit better also.  Bob.

Bob, 

Yes, I see that the E series had two 567s per unit.

I guess it's a local thing. The F series was the direct predecessor of the MY class - the 'diesel that did it' here i DK - so that's as far as history normally takes us, unless we start digging into what happened next in the US.

But with the Big Boy on the move to Cheyenne and my F7s on order from MTH, I've started reading about US locomotive types, and while the subject is vast, it's very interesting.

I'd love to have an E8 consist eventually. They look absolutely stunning on your video. Did they run AB only or were they also used as ABA or larger? According to Wikipedia, ATSF didn't have a lot of them.

Jens

I just looked up and EMD built 427 E7's and 500 E8's and 48 E8 b units, Santa Fe bought 8 A's and 5 b's.  I have seen 3 A's in a train and mostly an A and a B.  I have seen as many as 2 F A's with 5 B's pulling freight. Amtrak used them for awhile into the 60's. Bob.

Bob, just impressive. The sound is just perfect for an E-8 set. How long do you think the batteries will last? Is the B unit a slave to the A unit? Looks like it will pull several cars. Keep up the good work, Larry

I have 3 sets of six batteries, around 21 volts and each is 5000 milliamp  and according to Gary Raymond, they should last about 2 hours or more.  I have an additional set also, so I can change over and have another two hours.  The only loco pulling is the A unit.  It got away from me the other day and I had to hold it back, it went to full power, and it felt like it would pull at least 10 cars easily, we shall see.  Bob.

• 1 year later...

Sure looks great Bob! Beautiful job and performance.

Jens the E units were not true CCs in fact they were A1A+A1A they had two engines so they offered more power than an F unit. An F7 had 1500 HP and an E7 had 2000 hp. In us practice they were mainly used in Passenger service on most US roads. However a few roads prefered the F units in passenger service, notably the Santa Fe, the Northern Pacific, the D&RGW, some like Norfolk Western used GP9 because they skipped dieselification until very late... However the Santa Fe also had E units probably for the more flat divisions.

The MY class was a CC with what about amounted to a F7 type power generating plant inside. Probably because of axle load limits in Europe, much less than the US with up to 35 tons per axle on some US roads!

On the SNCF we got some Baldwin 750HP switchers that in the US would have been BB units but for Frances rails at 20 tons per axle they were made as A1A +A1A.

Yet I find the E units much more appealing than the F units and would really love one to be manufactured in 1/32 scale.

• 4 months later...

I had to come back and watch this again. Still impressive as the first time I saw them! Beautiful job.

When I'm setting up a new PS upgrade, I speed match them to a known good working engine. That way I can run all my stuff together in different consists.

Still gorgeous ... B)

On ‎27‎-‎02‎-‎2016 at 10:34 PM, du-bousquetaire said:

... the E units were not true CCs in fact they were A1A+A1A they had two engines so they offered more power than an F unit.

On ‎27‎-‎02‎-‎2016 at 10:34 PM, du-bousquetaire said:

The MY class was a CC with what about amounted to a F7 type power generating plant inside. Probably because of axle load limits in Europe, much less than the US with up to 35 tons per axle on some US roads!

Actually the MY class and its smaller sister the MX were in fact (or are) both A1A+A1A.

Norway had the Di3 class which had the subclasses Di3a and Di3b, which were CC and A1A+A1A respectively

The Belgian/Luxemburgian class 202 and the Hungarian class M61 were all CC.

All units had GM 567 engines, but - at least for the Danish types - they varied from the B to the D1 types according to time of delivery.

Jens

Thanks Jens and Joe. I ran the video myself the other day just to motivate me to get my layout done so that I can have fun everyday.  I think I might downsize the layout so that I might get it done faster. Better to have a little fun than no fun at all. Bob.