Coupler question

jack schaefer

I have an MTH GG1 and USA Trains streamlined passenger cars.  The GG1 coupler has a long shank and is higher than the passenger coupler which also has a long shank..I have been to the Kadee web site and all the shanks seem too short. any ideas would be welcome

Most MTH steam engines come with spacers to change height of tender coupler but unfortunately that is not so for the GG1. I have fitted USAT streamline passenger cars with Aristo freight car coupler to match up to Aristo E8's. Not sure it would solve your height issue...............Jim

I don't have a GG1 to look at but I would look at adding a spacer to the coupler mount on the GG1 to lower it down to the height you need.  In my case I bought a kadee coupler height gauge and replaced all my couplers with Kadee body mounts.  Depending on the car some needed certain adjustments/shimming to get work but most could be addressed height wise (if too low) a different coupler with greater height offset.  Kadee does not make couplers with lower offsets.

Me too. The problem with G scale is not only all the different coupler designs that don't play well with each other, then each company mounts theirs at different heights???

It's easy to see why so many go with KDs. They work great!!!

( I like the MTH couplers too. They work great for me. Second would be the Aristocraft. The USA's don't mate well with other brands I have. Maybe they work with LGB's??)

I have to replace all my USA cars couplers with KDs to work on my RR with the others. They do make great cars and they come with KD pads. Probably not on their passenger cars???

Yes they do Joe!  The two big things to me on them are they dont have knuckles that are mechanical that can just open and two you can just lift a car straight up off the track without fiddling with the couplers on either end.  They make trains easier to put together, take apart and are clearly the most reliable coupler out there.  Reduces accidents and collisions a great deal.