Inroduction and questions

gscaleswe

Hello, allow me to introduce myself, my name is Henrik, and I live in Sweden. Im a Märklin H0 modeller and collector since many years, but recently got into G Scale. What caught my attention was mainly the MTH BigBoy that can be seen on numerous YouTube videos. To bad they seem to hard to get a hold of, nothing shows up on ebay, and no vendors seem to have them in stock. Well, good thing is that there are many more intresesting models, so I pulled the trigger on one of those MTH GG1 (have that in Märklin H0) from Rayman4449, and it arrived at my house yesterday together with a MTH DCS controller, in what seems to be good condition!

Now, I have some questions, I have a Märklin 52 VA transformer that outputs 16 volts and max 3.25 amps AC power. That should work with my DCS and TIU equipment right ? I have read alot on the subject, but just wanted to make sure before i plug it all in :)

I will run the GG1 on Märklin Gauge 1 track (code 200), and hopefully it will work with the flanges, I will get some code 332? in the future. For now I will only run occational on a temporary oval approx 30 feet.

Anything else I should think of before I make the maiden voyage ?

Moderator feel free to move my post to a more appropriate place if need be.

Best regards, Henrik

I don't see this transformer on the MTH list of the acceptable ones. I don't know if there's any problems with the Hz or something. I would caution to wait for Raymond or others to see this post and respond.

Someone recently posted about running on Marklin code 200 track I think???

I'm sorry I can't help more. I don't have a GG1 myself yet.

I'm pretty sure I've read stuff about MTH's compatibility with Marklin?? I couldn't swear to it.

It was discussed recently, and the conclusion was that newer MTH equipment should be able to run fine on Märklin track, but older equipment need new wheel or milling due to the flanges being too large.

Don't know about the GG1, though.

Speaking of the GG1, please allow me to draw your attention to this thread ...  ;)

Welcome to the forum, Henrik.

Jens

Welcome to this forum Henrik.

I am currently using a LGB 50110 transformer and now in passive mode (recommended). I have used several different over the years and might have used a Marklin as well.

Note. The DCS has a setting for 60 or 50 Hz. I have set it to 50 Hz more or less once. I don't know if the setting is remembered but I think so.

Bjorn

Hi, I have now done the maiden voyage with the gg1, or kind of atleast. It didnt run that well on Märklin track, so I tried all the bells and whistles standing still. Im rather impressed with the locomotive so far, great detail and finish, enough details so it doesent look toyish, and the sound is loud and clear. Anyone tried to upgrade the speaker to bigger/better one further enhance the sound quality?

//Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Sorry for my delayed formal response here, I know we chatted via email on the power supply.  I would say it should run fine as DCS runs on voltages as low as say 9v -> 24v (and can be pushed beyond 24v).  Being a Marklin brand power supply I wouldn't worry and I'm sure it's not PWC/PWM so you should be good.  In this case at 16v if you really load the engine down with a heavy train and try to pull it up a steep grade your pulling power may be diminished but it sounds like it will be run on level track and with a light load so should probably work ok without running into any limitations due to low voltages/ total available watts(power).  You should definitely be ok if you don't run the smoke. 

Just as a general comment, Code 200 track is very short rail by any model mfg standards and aside from what has been shared already I would say that in general it cannot be guaranteed that you won't have problems with any/all mfg engines/rolling stock of any production era.  Jens may know better than I in this case but I'm not aware of any planned changes in approach to flange sizes by MTH to accommodate even lower code rail in future production runs.  I know we had responses that code 215 seemed to work good so I would bet most everything (if not everything) would work good on that, but if it's actually 200 (smaller) from what I've seen in years past on discussions about this my opinion is that is starting to pushing the limits of what you can run and just know it will work without any issues.  Is it actually code 200 or is it 215?  If I was going to go with a lower code rail, I'd prob go with code 250.  I went with 332 for the extra strength and durability, but i know it doesn't look as good as lower code for sure :)

As far as upgrading the speaker I haven't done one on a GG1 but I have looked at it and see it can be done to get one of my upgrade speakers in there, would require some cutting away of the speaker enclosure but enough of the enclosure has to be kept to help support the one side of the control panel above it.  

Is it actually code 200 or is it 215? 

As far I can see anywhere on the web, most European Gauge 1 track - including Märklin - is code 200 (= 5mm rail profile height).

The largest I've found is actually Hegob, which seems to be code 205, but we're talking 2/10 millimeter difference here, so in practice they're interchangeable, which is indeed what we're seeing on layouts.

Jens

As far I can see anywhere on the web, most European Gauge 1 track - including Märklin - is code 200 (= 5mm rail profile height).

The largest I've found is actually Hegob, which seems to be code 205, but we're talking 2/10 millimeter difference here, so in practice they're interchangeable, which is indeed what we're seeing on layouts.

Interoperable is the correct word - not interchangeable.  :wacko:

My experience with MTH trains on Marklin track is that i have 2 MTH engines, a VO-1000 and a F-7 who both run well on Marklin tracks, same with Hopper cars and Caboose.

On my boxcars i had to take down the flanges a little but it was easy work!

Trygve

Hi, well instead of messing with taking down the flanges on the locomotive, Ive ordered some new track, hopefully it will arrive next week, I will then report the running qualities of the engine.

//Henrik