I just wanted to run!!

enginear joe

When the weather got better, I made a promise that I would just get something running outback. I did. I threw down the outer loop, which I ended up having to move a good portion of to make room for the double mainline. The track didn't turn the way I had expected it to when it actually was laid down and connected. At least, I ran some trains a couple of times.

Now I'm getting things organized, and trying to make stuff for the longer term. It has kept me from running! It has to be done. I need the ability to drive a train inside for protection and security. I can't carry stuff up and down stairs every time I want to run. So I had to compromise my run time and concentrate on getting stuff done for the future. It has only been a little while. I just feel that the great weather days are slipping by. I should probably take advantage of them and do this stuff on rainy days? My rainy day project list would be HUGE!!!

Soon this will be back and I won't have a choice!

post-10-0-87437000-1403269337.jpg

i really like that 1st pic as rather have cold than hot!

Are you setting it up so you can run trains into the house so don't have to carry them? I did and ended up with a 70' long feeder track that's on a 4% grade.

Wow. You want to know if your rolling stock's wheels are in gauge?

Try cutting some saw blade grooves down a shelf. Some cars roll right. Others don't even land in both grooves!

Looks like my fleet needs some attention!

HERE'S THE DOOR!! Will be fun trying to side the garage and make this look and work good.

Sheesh. I ran the Amtrak Genesis out the middle track and it hit the door! Got to make room for the big swingers. Wait 'til I run out the Challengers!! I'd better keep them on different rails.

My track leaves the shed and doesn't have any elevation change. The upper bench will leave the shed and probably be a 2% down grade to the layout.

post-10-0-11741300-1403468041.jpg

I did something on my computer for security and now I can't paste links. I ran a train on father's day in memory of Ray Shoup, who sold the UP Dash 8 and Amtrak cars in the train to me. It's on my U-tube channel.

I'll need to get brass track for inside the shed and save the stainless for the yard I need to make outside. Maybe I can get that Gargraves stack to work. Might have a challenge getting it aligned. The rails are tight together, spacing wise. It's also hollow. They make their own line of G scale switches that I have not tried either.

post-10-0-49142100-1403487509.jpg

Looking good!

That Amtrak train is nice too! Ray passed away too young and that was nice to run a train in his memory. He called me just a week or so before the holidays last year and said he was tired of being beat down by chemotherapy but was going to send me some of those Gal Line bi-level kits just after New Years...sad to say it never happened :(

Few folks know that he was the actual beta-tester for the QSI Magnums before they went into production. He also taught at MIT earlier in his career before joining Hughes Aerospace.

When I see photos of storage places like these, it is a reminder that I need to come up with some outdoor storage for some of my rolling stock, too.  I expect that I'd keep locomotives indoors, but freight trains could be left out in storage units. 

I like the Amtrak trains too.  There are days when I kick myself for not getting the Genesis locomotives and 3 amfleets for $450 at the ECLSTS in the past years.  Oh well.  I didn't let that same thing happen last year when I picked up the 6 car set of aristo heavyweights and a pacific to pull them. 

Wow!! $450!!! I'm seeing single cars going for that!

Those Amtrak are MTH G scale ones and came from Ray Shoup (except for the observation).

As much stuff as I did get from Aristo, I'm mad at all the stuff I passed on.

I'm making a whole wall for storage. I still will end up with a yard or two outside to park trains on also. Never realized how much space they take up. My basement layout was much bigger than it seemed.

• 3 years later...

Ramp looks good and you have a nice escape route in case a coupler breaks!

Best part about it is it's your layout and every reason to be proud of it :)

I know of another guy in NY...(well I think its a guy but he did once post on MLS that he was painting his toenails??!!) that videos other peoples layouts and then passes it off as his...but he lives in an apartment...in other words he's a poser :lol:

Poser---  a person who acts in an affected manner in order to impress others.

synonyms: exhibitionist, poseur, posturer, fake; 
informalshow-off
"he's such a poser"

Joe

That is a nice job. :)

I hope to copy something very similar as a phase two of my train in the yard project.

Knowing you run DCS, and if you even had this issue, how did you control the issue with being able to see the train outside entering the storage room door and at the same time being able to see the train come inside the storage room in order to stop it.

The reason I ask is that is the type of problem I have.

Thanks

Larry

Nice set up there, what grade is that up to the shed?

Larry, get one pf those security cameras that are wi-fie and you could see the trains on your phone, unless you are controlling with the phone! ;)

Jerry, the grade is just over 1% on the fence. When it crosses the bridges heading to the water it goes to 2.5% or 3? I had planned on redoing that section and never started. I like 1% for carefree operation.

Larry, I can either stand inside the shed for viewing or stand outside and peer in. I always stop the train short and push in the cars by hand the final few inches to feel the end. I imagine a camera or window would help. I just think it's not needed.

I had planned to park trains inside and be able to run them out. I don't have near the area of the likes of Dennis Sirrine! So the trains get broken down mainly by car type, and all engines get removed. I had a few issues of powering the tracks by accident when wheels crossed the gaps and bridged the power. Parked engines would fire up! It's good to have them electrically isolated to prevent that. I just haven't spent the needed time.

When I built the shed, I made a decision on how much space to allocate for the trains. It was way too small. The half hearted attempts I've made to enlarge the space haven't kept pace with expansion. I have engines and cars all over the place. I want to move and I'm not winning that fight. Sometimes I just say good enough and run the trains.

Thanks for the information Joe and Jerry.

I do have cameras in the train room that view the outside layout. That may be the way I go.

I just don't know if the DCS remote or WiFi iPad will work with me inside and watching the train on a monitor and the train outside. I need to do some experimenting when I get to that.

should be interesting:wacko:

Larry

I tried the wifi outside once when I got it. The worse thing for me was I couldn't see the screen. It was bright outside and the phone made it difficult to see what you're doing. It did operate pretty much everywhere in the yard as I remember. I went back to the remote because I have used it for so long, I can run almost without looking at it. It is also easier to see outside.

I do remember going into the shed for shade, which made seeing the phone's screen much better. The signal in there is strong because that's right where the TIUs ( and wifi) are.

I believe you will like the range of the wifi. I just hope your screen is easier to see outside.

Joe

Good point on the screen outside. I played with it and I think because I'm under cover to some degree it will work.:)

I did get the remote with the TIU and the last York so I do have it. Another learning curve for me when I get that far.

Hopefully  track is very  very close to going down.

Tired of shoveling that rock.:(

Larry