Scratch building a 1:13 Caboose

This is actually my second 1:13 scratch build.   The first one was a flat car,  we've all seen them so there is nothing interesting there.

This one is a caboose that I scaled from a picture, the Fairymead locomotive and a couple of dimensions that were mentioned in the article.  

It is mostly Luan plywood with a small piece of oak plywood.  Most of the rest of it is scrap oak and cedar from Pic Nic tables I built for my grandchildren or others.  

I did purchase some strip wood from a hobby shop this morning as my table saw insisted on trying to assault me with flying debris rather than cut the small strips that I needed.

The wheels and other metal parts are purchased from Ozark as they have a new and expanding line of 1:13 parts.  

I've got a long way to go, but thought I'd inspire others to build stuff also, it is really very satisfying, along with being very frustrating at times.  I do feel very proud every time I put something on the track that I scratch built.   post-9-0-06520400-1404417719.jpg

(the flaws don't show up in the pics)

post-9-0-70340500-1404496608.jpgI built the door and installed glass in the door and windows.  I've tried plastics but found they seem to hold a static charge and attract dust.

I used a form of Crazy Glue to hold the glass in place.   The glass seemed clear when I installed it.   I went back a couple hours later and there were finger prints all over them

So I guess those crime programs that describe how they use that to lift finger prints are true,  How Cool is that.     Of course they cleaned up just using Q tips.  

The glass didn't show up in the pics so I'm a bit dissapointed.  

post-9-0-98664900-1404848496.jpgpost-9-0-93589600-1404848518.jpgpost-9-0-38116300-1404848529.jpg

Thank you Joe,   here's my latest:

Assembled the sides to the platform.  Had to install a temp support at the top as the top was 1mm out of square from the bottom, it will be removed when the roof goes on.   Painted and installed the wheel assemblies, and L&P couplers.  Attempting to cast brake shoes, but am doubtful of the outcome.

Cut and attached the roof trusses and made preparation for the brass railings, grab irons and stirrups.

If anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated.     thank you        

Thank you Chuck.  Here's what I managed to accomplish yesterday.   I installed the iron work and soldered it together to give it rigidity.  Made and installed the steps from flat brass and chained the pins to the car.  The pins are the first thing I usually loose,  now it is just the links.    

Not sure how I'm going to finish the car.  I was thinking of just staining it, but someone suggested first stain then a dilute paint over the stain.   Hoping to get more information on that process.    

post-9-0-08349800-1404985310.jpg

post-9-0-40148500-1404985320.jpg

post-9-0-49374600-1404985331.jpg

I got some feed back on another forum that the RED was somewhat intense, and I feel the same way.   I got a different Behr sample and added even more brown to it and this is the final result, and I am happier with it.   Strange thing is it looks so different in fluorescent lighting than outside sun light.  

Suggestions are alway appreciated,  (criticism is also appreciated as I have thick skin and a sense of humor).    

post-9-0-58524600-1405800740.jpg

Nick,

that turned out really nice! :) well done..

I noticed something though that makes me curious about the scale..

you said " a couple of dimensions that were mentioned in the article."

what article was this?

maybe its a trick of the camera, but your caboose door looks like its about 3 feet tall.. ;)

(compared to the track, which is 2-foot gauge in 7/8n2 scale)

or are you perhaps running 32mm track? in which case, my perception would be off..

The exact scale doesn't detract from the model itself..but im just curious about those dimensions..

Scot

I found the article in SiTG, it was a purposed kit, I don't know if it was ever produced.   I thought the price was way over the top. I wrote down the numbers as I'm glad I did as when I went to find the article again,  I couldn't.  I having the same problem right now as I look for an article I remember seeing over and over again,  now it eludes me. 

The door is a bit short, scales to just under 5',  that and the windows were things I just winged,  I call it 'artistic license'.  What I did was temporarily hold it together and lay the roof on to see what I could see, and I wanted the top of the door and trim to show without having your face on the track.  Using license again I intend to have the stove stack coming from the rear wall and then curving up, so more of it shows.  And yes it could interfere if there was a trailing car as tall as the caboose.  

Track is 45mm.   

Here is a pic of a transfer caboose I built from many parts of very different scale stuff.  Brought it to a running session and I thought one guy was going to break out in hives, lol.   

post-9-0-86995500-1406371945.jpg

post-9-0-35171000-1406371954.jpg

Scot, I'd like to see your progress on the boxcar kit, as i am about to start a scratch build of two of them for my next project.

I know the measurements I use are not for the 'PUREST' a term I'd rather use than Rivet Counter which seems to have a negative connotation to it.  I also use what's called 'selective compression'.  Some things when brought down to scale size will just disappear, so I make them a little bigger to be more visable.      

What i have mentioned here will either help in  your endeavor or anger you depending on your prospective.