type of charger needed?

I got a USA Trains box car that came with three six volt batteries inside (18V). I think they're ni-cads but they're very heavy. They seem to have a full charge. I believe they were assembled by Stan C years back. I haven't figured out what to use this car for. I need to first figure out if I can re-charge it if I use it. I'd hate to spend a ton on a set-up just for this car.

I have several cordless drills that have varying voltages (12, 14.4?, 9, but no 18). I'm trying to find out if I could use any of their chargers to re-charge this car?

I have a small automotive charger that can be set for 6 or 12 volts. Maybe I could charge one at a time? It would probably be a hastle to get at each. Should I just yank out the batteries?

post-10-0-61876600-1405220835.jpg

Those are sealed lead acid batteries, aka "gel-cells." In terms of battery technology, it's pretty outdated. They're 4 amp-hour batteries--which is a decent capacity, but how old are those batteries? Gel-cell longevity falls off as the batteries get old.  You can use the automotive battery charger set to 6 volts and charge one at a time easy enough. You'll spend a whole lot of time waiting... and waiting... and waiting... for the batteries to charge. I've never seen a fast charger for gel-cells. (Granted, I stopped looking 25 years ago when we switched to NiCads.)

Frankly, I'd ditch 'em for running locomotives. You can get 18-volt Li-Ion packs with the same capacity that take up the same space, and likely weigh less than one of those packs. They'll also charge a whole lot faster. Use the Gel-cells for building lights or something like that.

Later,

K

Thank you guys! great info.

I couldn't sign on this morning until now? So I just read this.

I believe these were never used. The car's wheels were un-run. The battery car had a broken fuse holder and all the paper work and fittings looked un-touched. I hated to throw away something un-used. I just don't do battery. Maybe someone else would want them but shipping them would seem a waste or hastle.

There's some type of Crest power protector? inline that looks cool.