Bachmann two truck Shay replacement trucks.

Neil Robinson

The improved, metal, trucks for these used to be available as upgrade parts but I guess they are no longer offered as I can't find any listed on Bachmann's  U.K. or U.S.A. sites.

Does anyone know of a source willing to ship to the U.K. ?

Hello Neil!

Try Trainworld in New York.  They have them listed as Bachmann #88999 (Die-cast Shay power trucks with ball bearings, one pair) for $215.99.  However, in their June advertisement in Garden Railways magazine they have them listed for $203.99. I'd call and give them that price first and see what they say!  They do ship internationally. 

ph: 1-800-541-7010

Joe                     

I see two sellers on ebay that will ship them to UK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bachmann-G-Die-Cast-Shay-Power-Trucks-1pr-BAC88999-/360998736812?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item540d3393ac

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACHMANN-88999-Shay-BB-Power-Trucks-Backward-Compatible-2-G-/251578014900?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3a9337dcb4

I don't have a connection with either one and I don't know anything about either one. They are not cheap, but if it is what you need!

Tom

Thanks guys.

Once, thanks to you, I had the part number a fresh internet search revealed a U.K. source. Their price was about the same as the total costs of importing the cheapest of the above.

Thanks again,

Neil

• 2 months later...

Ray, I'm reasonably sure that gears are metal. I'm absolutely sure that the truck body is metal and doesn't crack up and fall apart. Also the gears are made of a material that doesn't crack and cause the gears fall off their axles.

In the case of the loco that caused the enquiry at the start of this topic the owner decided to sell it as a non-runner.

I have fitted these trucks as an upgrade a while ago and, in my opinion, is a worthwhile, indeed essential upgrade for a loco that won't just sit on a shelf.

Thanks Neil, I'm going to have him check these out.  The Shay is a great looking model and I think jumping on whatever upgrades are available to make them or any model as durable and long lasting as possible is a smart idea.