MTH WiFi Control App & WIU (WiFi Interface Unit)

Rayman4449

I have some key details which should answer most of the questions and will share that shortly, but there are more considerations at play than simply just informing potential customers of all details as soon as they are immediately known.  It's not smart for a company to broadcast all the details and capabilities of a new product like this to its competitors to give them a road-map on how exactly to respond too far in advance.  It's not like businesses withhold information because they think it's fun to taunt and toy with their customer base.  There will be plenty of time to provide the details of how it operates before the wifi box is formally available to allow the consumer to make an informed decision on whether or not to buy it.  That said, I've been anxious to get my hands on this setup myself.

I've been holding off buying a pad till it was available and I could see and try it out first, but I imagine 7" would probably be perfect for this application, not too big not too small.  I think I may borrow a couple of different ones to see what I like best.  In the end I may just use my Samsung Galaxy phones I have... great use for them.  I don't think this will end my use of the DCS remotes, they still are quick, easy to use and intuitive and I'm not concerned about leaving one on a table in the backyard if go into the house for a moment.  In the end the Galaxy Note phones may also work really good for this application as well.  In the end what may end up happening is may use both the application and the remote at the same time.  Keep the phone in the pocket and if you walk away from the remote you can quickly pull it out and have control access to the trains.  

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I've posted information on the WiFi module on my site at this link:  http://www.rayman4449.com/DCS_Overview_Videos.htm#System_Components 

This includes video where this was discussed at the recent TCA meet.

Going to direct everyone there so as new or updated information is available I only have to update one location.   I have also been expanding the DCS Overview page to include more information and photos of the individual components of the system, including Protosound boards, TIU, Remote, Wifi Module, smoke units, etc.  Will continue to update and expand the page with more information over time.

• 6 months later...

Update on the WiFi app and hardware release.  Currently scheduled for Oct 2015 for full availability of both Android/Apple apps and hardware.  (originally targeted for Mar/May 2015)

There was a change in the App developer as the original one was getting behind schedule.

Start at ~7:30 on the audio interview with Andy Edelman - (VP of Marketing with MTH) on this page: (1 hr interview)

http://69.195.124.114/~notchsix/2015/04/22/notch-6-episode-53-mth-2015-volume-ii-catalog-show/

Interesting discussion around 30min that the smoking whistle feature was first done in the One Gauge Triplex, not in any other engine or scale.  They are just now getting to rolling this out on O gauge.  So we were the first to get that feature.

• 5 months later...

MTH has just provided this news release that the new MTH Smart Phone App and related DCS 5.00 Software update are on target for release this month.  The WIU which is the WiFi Interface Unit (the box required to operate the trains via App and TIU) will be out mid-November.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

M.T.H. Smart Phone App On Target For October Release

DCS 5.00 Software Update To Be Released At The Same Time

dcs_wifi_app_screen.jpg

October 7, 2015 – M.T.H. Electric Trains is on target to release it's first smartphone and tablet app for controlling a DCS layout wirelessly this October. First announced in 2014, the app will be available in three versions:

- Free version:  Controls up to 3 locomotives w/limited light and sound control  (available now)

- Standard version: ($4.99 cost) Controls up to 99 engines and more sound/light control settings. (available now)

- Premium version: ($24.95 cost) Provides Lash-ups and switch/accessory controls. (Coming soon)

The apps, which will communicate with a separately sold DCS WiFi Interface Unit or WIU. The WIU is slated for release in mid-November. Any Android tablet or phone and Apple iPhone or iPad will bring the DCS Digital Command System to life in a way never thought possible when first paired with a DCS remote control. Any of these smart devices can run the new apps.

The DCS app will allow operators to control an entire layout in command or conventional modes without using a DCS handheld remote. A TIU (Track Interface Unit) along with the separately sold DCS WIU is required for app control over the layout. Simply plug the module into the TIU, search for its WiFi signal on the phone or tablet, and begin running a DCS layout in command mode in no time.

App control also requires an update to the DCS Track Interface Unit (TIU) software. The new DCS software, version 5.00, should be released the same week as the app. The DCS software release is a free download and will include a new DCS Loader program (required to install DCS Version 5.0 into the TIU) and will be posted on the M.T.H. Website when published. The apps will be available for download via the Apple iTunes and Google Play online stores.

The DCS loader (free software) that is loaded on your personal computer to perform the TIU and Remote (Wireless DCS remote) firmware/DCS version update currently only comes in a version for windows.  So you would need a windows emulator for your iMac or would have to send it to me.  Any DCS version updates needs to be performed to the TIU and remote both.  I would update all your Remotes and TIUs.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Word is the WiFi modules are on the water on the way to the US and that we should have them in about 4 weeks.  I'm hearing this batch is getting close to sold out so those who want them best to place pre-orders now.

MTH DCS ver 5.00 and the new Loader Program v5.00 are now available:  (You will need to upgrade the TIU and Remotes to DCS 5.00 to use the new Wifi App and must use the new v5.00 Loader Program)

http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/694-mth-dcs-consumer-loader-v500-current-version/

http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/693-mth-dcs-remote-tiu-firmware-v500-current-version/ 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rayman..I've been a long time viewer of your site and I want to thank you for the immense amount of info you provide. I has helped me in my layout endeavours many times! I'm a G and O scale guy and just today, I received my DCS WIFI module and got it installed. It's great and works but I hit a major road block (and I was actually anticipating this)... With the wifi and the app, you can't do lashups! All the lashup info that the handheld remote took care of is not available in the app. In all the online demos I saw, I always noticed only one loco was being used...never any double heading. I run all my locos in lashups so I am hoping to goodness this is a function that can be added! Mike Wolfe has been pushing this thing as "if the remote can do it, the app can do it"... and it can pretty much do everything but I think the inability to create lashups is a major oversight. If I have missed something and you CAN do this, somebody please let me know.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

Hi Chris, thank you very much for the kind words I'm very glad been of help.  I haven't received my Wifi modules yet but please review the post #30 above, it lists the three versions of the app (two that are currently available and the third which has not been released yet).  Once the Premium version is released then you can get the Lash-up capability.  :)

Hey Ray! Thank you so much for your reply! I'm sorry, I completely missed that detail... I was under the impression from other readings that the premium version added accessories and switches, etc. That is very reassuring but I wish I didn't need the $25 version to run my trains...oh well, at least now I know it can do it! Hopefully it will released soon.

Thanks again, Ray!!

You're very welcome :)  The nice thing about the app is you will be able to put it on an unlimited number of your devices so unlike a remote you have to buy, if you have multiple old phones, pads etc just buy once and install across the devices.  Free upgrades will be nice as well.

That's exactly right, Ray! That is the nice thing about how apps work across the mobile platforms. It's also nice how dynamic the app can be...it can grow right along with the hardware advancements. And the $25 isn't that big a deal when it's for the hobby you invest so much time and effort into... I guess the real issue is I just want to run the wifi with my lashups right now!! LOL  :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

I have received my shipment of the WIUs for anyone looking to get one.  Please note that if you have an older TIU that does not have the USB port you will also need to get a serial to USB cable. (I have them available as well)  So far from my testing I'm very impressed with what I see.  Has excellent one handed control/operation with standard smart phone with nice size screen like the Samsung Galaxy S5.

just purchased the MTH Wifi and am trying to upload the DC loader and 5.0 version.   I am using Windows 10.  I can download the program from MTH and then unzip.  But I cannot actually run the program?

The instructions say to Run with WinZip which it seems I need to purchase?

Never understand why both MTH and Lionel make their systems so difficult to update.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Curt Jester

Dacula, GA

The files you download from MTH are self-extracting executables, you don't need winzip.  If you ever need a unzipping program, visit "http://www.7-zip.org/"for a free version but it is not needed.

I'm going to document all the steps for anyone else that may be unsure on how to complete them:

DCS Consumer Loader Program version 5.00 for Windows PC:  (This is the software you install and run on your Windows PC to perform the TIU and Remote firmware/software updates)

-  Visit www.protosound2.com

-  Download the DCS Consumer Loader Program Version 5.00 by clicking the 'Download Now!' link.  (*Click for example photo*)

-  Fill out the required info then select 'Go to Download Software Page'.   (*Click for example photo*)

-  On the DCS Software Version 5.00 link either left click to download and note where the files are saved OR right-click and select 'Saved linked content as' and save to where you want.  (*Click for example photo*)  (Right click menus will vary based on Internet browser used)

-  You then have file "V5.0.0.exe".  (This is a file that can self-extract, you do not need winzip or any other program to extract the files)

-  Use 'My Computer' or 'This PC' on your desktop or use Windows file explorer to go to where the file was saved.

-  Left-click the "V5.0.0.exe" file (which starts the self-extractor)

-  Then select the 'Browse' button and save to 'Desktop' so it's easy to find, then click 'Ok' then 'Unzip'   (*Click for example photo*)

-  You now have two files "Setup.exe" and "MTH DCS Consumer Loader V5.0.0.msi".  

-  Go to where they are saved and Left click the "Setup.exe" file to start the install process and complete.  (MTH recommends un-installing older versions of the loader first)

-  Left click the "DCS Consumer Loader" shortcut on your Desktop

-  You will then see this screen where you can select icons to either load to TIU or load to remote.  Click the appropriate icon and follow the instructions.   (*Click for example photo*)

- Note where you saved your DCS TIU and Remote files from the steps below.

-  *For Reference* DCS Consumer Loader thread:  www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/694-mth-dcs-consumer-loader-v500-current-version/

DCS version 5.00 for the TIU and Remote:  (These are the DCS data files that the Consumer Loader Program uses to update your TIU and Remote)

-  Visit www.protosound2.com

-  Download the DCS Version 5.00 by clicking the 'Download Now!' link.  (*Click for example photo*)

-  Fill out the required info then select 'Go to Download Software Page'.   (*Click for example photo*)

-  On the DCS Software Version 5.00 link either left click to download and note where the files are saved OR right-click and select 'Saved linked content as' and save to where you want.  (*Click for example photo*)  (Right click menus will vary based on Internet browser used)

-  You then have file "DCS5_00.exe".  (This is a file that can self-extract, you do not need winzip or any other program to extract the files)

-  Use 'My Computer' or 'This PC' on your desktop or use Windows file explorer to go to where the file was saved.

-  Left-click the DCS5_00.exe file (which starts the self-extractor)

-  Then select the 'Browse' button and save to 'Desktop' so it's easy to find, then click 'Ok' then 'Unzip'   (*Click for example photo*)

-  You now have three files.  Two are the key ones you need "tiu5p0.DCSt" & "remote5p0.DCSr"  to use with DCS Loader program.  These files cannot be used on their own.

MTH DCS Remote & TIU firmware thread: www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/693-mth-dcs-remote-tiu-firmware-v500-current-version/

Let me know if this helps cover what you need.  Good luck.

Raymond

Raymond,

Thank you very much for the additional guidance on updating the TIU and Remote.  "Mission Accomplished"  Both my remotes now show 5.0.  (The menu's seem a little different on Win10 though.)

I am getting ready to hook up the WiFi and hopefully soon, I can run a train or two via an iPad.

Curt Jester

Dacula, GA

Great to hear and you're very welcome.  

I'm running Windows 10 as well.  The menu's that appear when you right click will vary based on the Internet Browser used so I'm probably using a different browser than you are.  (I will note that in the instructions above)