2nd Danish Gauge 1 fair

If you're in Denmark in the middle of november, you may consider attending the 2nd Danish gauge 1 fair.

The fair takes place in the small town of Ferritslev on the island of Fyn (Funen), and it's arranged by a friend of mine, Stefan Hupfeldt.

On display will be the following modular layouts or showcases:

• Spor1Fyn - Stefan's own layout. German diesel and electrical motive power
  • Togklubben 1:32 with Modeltraktorklubben - my club. Trains, trucks and tractors
  • Spor1trekanten - from out west in the country
  • Nystrup Gravel - narrow gauge gravel operation
  • Styrkar Braathen - a fabulous layout from Norway
  • Langelandsbanen - featuring models from the abandoned short line on the island of Langeland
  • Spor 1 Live Steam Team DK - newly formed live steam club with a brand new modular layout for live steamers only. Rumours have it we'll see a Big Boy.
  • Spor 1 Wehrmacht - modeling German WW2 military transports

Dealers and exhibitors attending:

• Heljan (DK) - of course showcasing the Nohab/MY diesel prototype
  • The Danish Railway Club (DK)
  • Hoffmanns Modellbau (DE)
  • Schürrer (DE)
  • Agder Model Teknikk (NO)
  • MBW (DE)
  • MM Modeller (DK) - Custom models and parts
  • Felderbanen (DK) - Local shop
  • Gatra (DE) - Gorgeous 1:32 trees
  • Odense Hobby and MR Center (DK) - Local shop
  • Epokemodeller (DK) - Manufacturer of all the small parts that make up "the final touch"
  • Model builders of Nyborg (DK) - Local club
  • Asmark Models (DK) - Professional weathering
  • Tikøb Hobby (DK) - Danish rolling stock
  • Proinor (NO) - Laser cut rolling stock kits
  • Beto Hobby (DK) -  Local shop
  • Danish Loksounds (DK) - ESU decoders and Danish engine sounds

Registration for exhibitors is closed. The place is booked solid.

Two years ago the first fair was a success. This one looks to be a blast.

Jens

Video from 2012:

Thanks so much for sharing the info and sights and sounds of the show.  I really like the looks of the displays there, very clean looking.  Has detail but a nice clean trim look.  What code rail are they using on most of that?  No doubt the lower code rail (lower than 332) looks so much better than the 332 we often use here.  So realistic looking.  Really loved the slow double headed steamer pull.  Sounds like you'll be going this year.  Hope you can share some of the sights and sounds from the new show when it's all over :)

Thanks for the kind words.

It's code 200 or 205 everywhere.

Yep - you bet I'll be going to the show. My step-daughter even lives a short drive from the venue, so I don't have to pay for a hotel room for the weekend.

I'll do my best to shoot some video from the show  ;)

Jens

• 1 month later...

Warming up to the Gauge One event in less than two weeks, my club attended the Hobby show last weekend together with the Model Tractor Club. The connection track to the loading facility was undergoing repairs, so interaction was a bit limited. Hence no rubber-foot vehicles in this video.

All through the weekend we had our share of technical issues. Dual electrical faults can be a nightmare to track down, and with R/C cars filling the floor and quadcopters and drones filling the air, competition for the 2.4GHz band is heating up, it seems. In the end we managed to have plenty of running time, but some of us also spent considerable time under the modules, staring at the wiring ...

Much fun was had by all, though, and a surprising number of new items were being broken in.

Enjoy. We did.

;)

Jens

Any idea as to the price of the NoHab is US $$$ ??

Heljan is aiming for 12,000 DKK, so before taxes, shipping and whatnot it will set you back approx. 2,000 USD at today's rate.

Tommy from Heljan promised there'll be more bells and whistles to the prototype at the gauge one fair. Looking forward to that  ;)

Jens

$2,000.00..For a plastic diesel? Are they serious?? WOW! Can have 3 of the new MTH F7 sets for that :)  

There ya go, sir.

That's why I ordered an F7 ABBA consist from Ray and will probably pass on the Nohab  ;)

On the other hand, although the Nohabs are found in Germany these days, the Danish gauge 1 market is very small, so the series must be fairly small. Considering they are making new tools for it, we are actually quite surprised that they could keep the target price as low as that. Heljan has announced 8 paint schemes of which 2 are German, ie. 6 Danish schemes. I believe I know (of) most of the Danish 1:32 modellers, and I can't really figure out how many Heljan are planning to sell.

You also have to consider that the only real alternative is Proform, and their Nohab is approx. 4300 Euro / 5400 USD ...

Jens

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, here's my video with some sights and sounds from the gauge 1 fair.

It turns out it's actually the third fair, but the first one was rather small. Being told, I do recall hearing about it, but it was just after I entered the scale, and I did not attend.

Oh well, second or third, this one was a blast.

Public attendance up 30% to just shy of 1100 (it's way out in the countryside, mind you), coverage and interview with Stefan in the regional TV news Saturday evening, raving reviews from the German spur1info.com website, and a lot of exhausted exhibitors Sunday evening. Stefan has publicly announced that there will not be any more of these fairs, but he also said that in 2012 ...

I spent most of Saturday working with the smoke unit of one of the guys' BR50. On some of the clips of the BR50 doubleheader, the smoke is not working on one of them, but late Saturday evening I got it working.

A very good time was had by all, and rather than ramble on, I'll just show the video.

They say a picture speaks a thousand words, and here's 15 minutes worth of pictures. Saves a lot of typing  ;)

It's shot in 720p HD, so you can blow it up on your screen if you want.

Enjoy.

Jens