Accucraft Passenger cars

Mike1083

Now that i have a NYC Hudson I am going to need some passenger cars. I see accucraft has a set of 6 on pre order. Has anyone used or seen their passenger cars? Any thoughts on them? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mike 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Behind a 1:32 MTH Hudson the USA cars (as nice as they are) will undoubtedly look way too large behind it.  I will add that I do run Aristocraft Heavyweights behind my Hudson and am happy with how they look.

Hmmm I may have to see if aristo made the cars im looking for, then try and locate them. Thanks for the info

• 1 month later...

• 1 year later...

Hi there : I have ordered one Accucraft 10-6 pullman and gotten it, to complete my set of David Leech pre and post war sleepers. It matches very well with them and I am amazed that  the Tuscan red I mixed myself with no colour chip available is bang on. Unfortunatly the two horizontal gold leaf stripes are too low which is a bit dumb. The trucks are very nice, they have rubber bellows but no door between cars. I will probably install some flexible diamond fencing. They have interior detailing, are the correct length, and nice roof details added on. The biggest surprise was that they feature dummy couplers, however as the draught gear box is a copy of the Kadee ones it must take only minutes to fit Kadees. I guess this was in order to keep the price reasonable, they are after all, sold at a very comptitive price for gauge one. They feature an aluminum body. Do not forget that most European metal gauge one stock sells for over a thousand dollars each. They also have a simple underbody detail casting. They are totally different from the Accucraft freight cars which are highly detailed as these are rather simplified so as to provide operators of live steam engines rugged cars for taking around to Get Togethers (a very common activity with live steamers) and exhibitions without breaking parts off. These are full scale length replicas of lightweight smooth side cars used by such roads as the NYC, PRR, N&W, Lackawana,, MP, UP, NP, GN, some SP, IC and probably many other roads. Be carefull that MTH cars are too short and represent both smooth side and fluted side cars but not fluted roof cars such as those made by Budd for the PRR, NYC, Santa Fe, Burlington, Zephyr and so on. It would be nice if Accucraft proposed these budd style cars in the near future in 1/32.

• 1 month later...

Mark at Silver State Trains called me Thursday to say my Daylight cars are in... the call surprised me because I'd sorta forgotten/given up on them after having preordered them two years ago! I'm not quite ready for this sort of expense (and they won't honor the preorder price :( ), but it's now or never so I'm delaying the order a couple weeks but will receive them the second week of February. I will definitely take and share high res pictures when I get them!

I will also be saving again and seriously looking for an Accucraft GS-4 again. In the meantime, I'm not sure that any of my 1/29th scale locomotive are going to look very good pulling these.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I'm now officially into 1:32 scale.

My passenger cars arrived yesterday, and I just uploaded the photos!

24917167026_fc2e20dd07_c.jpg

24825489202_105cd028b5_c.jpg

24850118381_1c41d0fec7_c.jpg

See all the photos here:

(Six are shown, but I actually bought ten... four extra coaches).

I think they are a little less detailed than they could be, and the fit and finish isn't perfect either (I'm being really critical--most people aren't going to notice anything), but there aren't many choices. I haven't weighed them or put them on the track yet, and they are heavy, but for all metal cars it's very reasonable. Also, they don't have lights or figures, so eventually I will want to figure out how to open them up. Overall these are great looking cars and I'm really happy with them.

Of course, if USA Trains ever does make a GS-4 then count me in... I still prefer 1:29th.  ;)

Whoa... very nice. Thank you for sharing! They look very good from here! I'm suprised about the lighting but I usually have to upgrade it anyways. I wish they had Amtrak paint versions.

R the couplers body mounted? KD compatable? I may have to get some!

Got most of the answers from looking at your photo pages. Thank you again for sharing!

Cool, yeah I included photos of some of the less than perfect aspects. Mostly it's the fit of the observation car dome piece and less than perfectly milled corners in some windows. But again, I was really looking for issues. :)

I was actually wondering about Kadees too, but it appears that it's an easy conversion as long as the height is correct. But it's not like I'm going to mix and match with other cars, so I really just need to upgrade one end of the baggage car.

I want the set now even more but maybe I could just get my hands on a couple? My girl will kill me if I get ten! Congrats to U!

I would probably mix mine with the MTH ones so I asked about the couplers. Might look goofy with the baggage much longer than the rest of mine! Maybe I could just get a couple coaches??

That set looks like a keeper to me. Sorry about the finish of the OBS.

I need to call and see if they have NYC or unpainted? I see 1 more set of SP's.

I wonder who won that MTH Daylight today on da-bay? I sure missed out.

Ben, those cars are beautiful.  I have to say that seeing just how nice the colors are this will be one set I will regret not having purchased.  The daylight passenger train is one of the nicer sets one can own but the colors have to be right and it looks like Accucraft did a good job in the color selection.  When you finally one day get the set running you will have a truly fantastic train.  Maybe you can bring them out sometime and can run them with my Accucraft GS4 that I currently just have for display and actually get it out running :)

Ben, those cars are beautiful.  I have to say that seeing just how nice the colors are this will be one set I will regret not having purchased.  The daylight passenger train is one of the nicer sets one can own but the colors have to be right and it looks like Accucraft did a good job in the color selection.  When you finally one day get the set running you will have a truly fantastic train.  Maybe you can bring them out sometime and can run them with my Accucraft GS4 that I currently just have for display and actually get it out running :)

Thanks! Yes, the color is great. I've been undecided whether or not the MTH Daylight colors would bother me, but I suppose the fact that I keep wondering if it would bother me is an answer to that question. Although I'm still wondering if it would be worth considering an MTH GS-4 and re-painting it. Which is the stronger puller, MTH or Accucraft? That's another question/concern since I do have a long 2.5% to almost 3% grade.

Next time I take a road trip to KC I will definitely consider bringing them. :) Although size could be an issue. We got a new vehicle last year with a lot of cargo space... a Tundra with a tonneau cover. But even so, the boxes these came in are huge!

I want the set now even more but maybe I could just get my hands on a couple? My girl will kill me if I get ten! Congrats to U!

I would probably mix mine with the MTH ones so I asked about the couplers. Might look goofy with the baggage much longer than the rest of mine! Maybe I could just get a couple coaches??

That set looks like a keeper to me. Sorry about the finish of the OBS.

I need to call and see if they have NYC or unpainted? I see 1 more set of SP's.

I wonder who won that MTH Daylight today on da-bay? I sure missed out.

Haha, I was actually really surprised to get the full support of my wife on this. When it comes down to it, she's grown to be pretty tired of trains thanks to me, but I guess when she hears me talk about something long enough then she'd rather I just buy it so we can move on!

I was watching the MTH Daylight on eBay today too. I definitely wasn't going to bid, but interested to see the sale price.

I don't think you would like colors on the MTH GS4.  I would say if you went with one, repaint it with matched paint to the Accucraft set.  On the pulling ability that is a good question as I've only run my Accucraft a couple times around a small loop before putting it in a displace case and haven't run it since.  Of course you have gearing, weight and whether or not an engine has traction tires that determines the pulling ability.  The MTH GS4 has 4 wheels with traction tires the Accucraft is all stainless steel.  My guess is the MTH would be able to pull better just because of the traction tires.

I got to talk with Mark at Silver State today. It was a pleasure to deal with him. He spoke well of U Ben!

I couldn't get any NYC paints, but he called me back with a good list of choices. I got some UP coming which should look good behind my MTH UP fleet that seems to be growing.

I contemplated getting unpainted so I could make them into Amtrak. Maybe more down the road?

I got to talk with Mark at Silver State today. It was a pleasure to deal with him. He spoke well of U Ben!

I couldn't get any NYC paints, but he called me back with a good list of choices. I got some UP coming which should look good behind my MTH UP fleet that seems to be growing.

I contemplated getting unpainted so I could make them into Amtrak. Maybe more down the road?

Cool, glad you mentioned me. :)

I'm surprised to hear you can't get NYC though. Are they already out of stock? I know some road names shipped a few months ago (at least N&W), and I'm not sure if all road names have arrived yet.

Congrats on ordering some UP though! I'm sure they are going to look great. Be sure to post pictures.