Accucraft Passenger cars

Mike1083

I can't post the photos yet as I lost my picture resizer when I upgraded my computer. I need to download another program and learn how to use it.

Whenever I connect with my email, my computer crashes? Seems that there's a couple of troublemakers after me because I support MTH trains. I'll get it sorted out. They will never get any class though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick note or two:

The trucks axles are sprung. That surprised me. There are bearings at the axle ends!

The couplers don't work. I mean they are fixed, like dummy couplers.

Although the detailing is sparse, it looks appropriate. The fixed doors (just impressions) on the side are probably the thing that I feel was skimped on slightly. The car's end detailing looks good to me.

The cars have a good solid feel that I hope will translate into good tracking.

The truck lengths are very long and I assume are full to scale?

car body = 29 5\8

truck's axle centers = 3 7/16"

I was also surprised when Ben posted that there's no lighting at all.

I wanted Amtrak paint and don't know if I'll ever get the heart to paint over the UP scheme. I should have gotten unpainted to force the issue!

I paid slightly more than advertised but less then list? I did not get an invoice that I've noticed so I'm guessing by the total.

With inflation what it is, I think these cars are priced reasonably.

Again, I would have wished for lighting. I will look into adding that myself. I will mix these with my MTH Amtrak cars and see how they look and operate.

I surprised myself as I prefer modern freight. I just didn't want to skip these before they were all gone. I hope they keep releasing more down the road. I may just mix in some different roads. (+N&W??)

edited post to include bearings! One truck on one car was slightly out of alignment so I thought there weren't any bearings.

These cars roll great. I would think a large consist with a single engine would be no problem. I wonder if they'll ever make an FP40 and some Amtrak paint for us more modern guys?

Looks like I may need to scratch something together.

Looks good! I'm glad to see more photos and first impressions. It looks like I failed to mention the door detail, or lack thereof. I did find that noticeable especially on the baggage car where the doors should have been inset more--even to the point of casting a shadow.

Well, much as I like a matched passenger train, if you look at prototypical photos it seems you rarely seen them. Railroads were always changing paint schemes, car designs, and shuffling cars between lines. And if you're into the modern era, just model a tourist railroad. Then any passenger car that meets FRA standards is a good passenger car! (With some exceptions of course. More than anything else I'm referring to my recent ride behind SP 4449. If I wanted to model then I'd need at least three different road names in my train.)

• 3 months later...

I have been installing bearings into different makes of trucks trying to get the best results. These Accucraft pass cars, are the best rolling that I've seen. They free roll completely around my layout and automatically find the low areas! I can't get this level of free roll out of any other trucks yet. I'll keep at it. I am impressed at the quality! I need to get some more of them.

Those cars are, including the price hike are a deal; most gauge one metal cars with sprung trucks and interior are in the $1000 range to $1300. So people shouldn't complain about simple detailing and so on. You can always super detail yours if you feel up to it. They feature roller bearing (or rather ball bearing) trucks which ensure a very  small tractive effort needed to move them around. I find the dummy couplers not a real problem. except on the ends of a consist (I only have one 10-6 pullman to complement my set of David Leech coaches and pullmans.) Their aluminum construction makes for sturdy yet lightweight coaches: Hurray! The only pitfall seems to concearns taking the interior out carefully and putting it back in carefully, it seems that you need anothe pair of hands to do that safely. This is important for 1) superdetailing the interior and 2) installing lighting. For this, may I suggest giving up entirely the traditional approach of track power and going to 10 leds either in a ribbon or with wires leading to a battery pack and switch which you can place under the skirting! These go for about 1€ in certain department stores. they are most useful to the live steamers, besides it's wonderful to do a night train that doesn't blink all the time! Enjoy!

• 11 months later...

Accucraft cars are 1/32nd scale and the USA are 1/29 and would dwarf the Accucraft cars.  They are well detailed with interiors and even have some figures in them. My Accucraft diner fits right in with my MTH cars, just a couple of inches longer is the only difference. I would not run the two together.

I always thought those Accucraft passenger cars were way overpriced for what they are...I mean the MTH cars look better and are lit!

A real nice touch that USA did is on the observation cars...When the track power guys backup the train the rear center red light changes to clear.

And now USA Trains has a parts number page posted for their excellent cars!

http://www.charlesro.com/alumpasscarparts.html

I really like the Accucraft trucks. They roll so much better than anything else I have. The cars are good looking too. The scale length makes the car look more realistic. I wish MTH would consider making premier level G scale equipment that is scale.

If only everything was the same scale, I'd have bought USA Trains Daylight cars. But, USA Trains never made a GS-4, and Accucraft and MTH did, and the difference is size between 1:29 and 1:32 is huge. I don't have any USA Trains cars to compare, but I do have almost exclusively 1:29th equipment and the 1:32 Accucraft cars look tiny by comparison. The Accucraft cars do roll really well (too well, actually--I can't leave them uncoupled on an almost level siding without them rolling away), and the paint colors are perfect, but they aren't very detailed inside or out, and with no lights or passengers. USA Trains is a far better value. But between MTH and Accucraft, I spent 2x the money for Accucraft because they have more car types (e.g. baggage car), they are the proper length, and the paint colors are better. Hopefully the cars are something Accucraft will re-run, because I think there is a need for 1:32nd passenger cars.