Goodbye QSI

bobvand

Hello every one, I truly think QSI has done us large scale enthusiast a great disservice. I feel they have abandoned us and I'm now searching for a decoder for sound and motor control. I like the product but has anyone had a good experience lately getting help and information from them. This is a rant but I'm using this forum to express an opinion and need others to tell me if they have other sound and motor controls they would recommend? I have been In this hobby for 30 plus years and never seen this before. Where a good product has been so poorly supported. I chose this review section to give a bad review on the QSI Titan decoders. Great product poor support. Buyer beware.

Respectfully,

Robert Van Deusen

Bob,

Your frustration with OSI has been echoed by others on various forums.  Apparently it is supposed to be a very good product as well as one in demand.  It's a situation that is hard to figure out or understand??

Joe

This is a rant but I'm using this forum to express an opinion and need others to tell me if they have other sound and motor controls they would recommend?

Hi Robert.

I can highly recommend the ESU Loksound XL decoders for large scale.

Of course, being a European brand, US sounds may be scarce, but some are available. I understand the US support for ESU is not great, but the product sure is and the ESU user forum is very helpful. You can do a lot of great stuff with these decoders, especially if you get the dedicated LokProgrammer.

I have an MTH F7 ABBA consist on order, and I plan to motorize the dummy B units and fit LokSound XL decoders to all 4 units.

Jens

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Bobvand...I'm not really surprised about the lack off customer service from QSI. Back in the late 90's to early 00's the original sounds in the MTH O Gauge lineup were billed as ProtoSounds by QSI and there were problems. The main problem was the QSI boards were engineered very bad. It used a battery so the sounds wouldn't cut-out if power was lost. That's fine but if the battery discharged it would reverse it's polarity and then scramble the memory. Engines would sit in the box brand new and this would happen. MTH didn't offer support as it was a QSI problem. QSI responded by saying it was a MTH problem. MTH responded by inventing ProtoSounds2 and kicking QSI down the road.

Something else that I find ironic is 6 months after Aristo-Craft closed its doors, QSI has a owner change and no product. Hmm...and the original QSI Magnums were plug & play exclusively in Aristo-Craft locomotives. Guess the 2 were pretty much staying in business together? They both have the same kind of customer service or lack of.  

Looking thru the monthly Walthers sales flyers shows a real lack of QSI sound in any HO locomotives...mostly see Tsunami sound  :)

• 4 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Robert, I was curious if you still have the QSI issue. I have a club member who feels your pain. He was lucky to get his locos running. I know Josh has some issues with the G scale decoder. If you need any help or want a buy back offer to try our system, I am here anytime during the week. I am not familiar with your needs but do you have to stay with DCC decoders?

I visited Pioneer Valley Hobbies this week and saw a USA B&M Geep still waiting for QSI parts. It is very frustrating for all of us.

I know I can get your loco running to your total satisfaction.

Don

RCS of New England

Hi Don, while I'm sure you have a nice product, if it doesn't have built-in sound it's not comparable to a QSI decoder. That's the real value of QSI (and Zimo, etc). Your product (as with Airwire and others) would have to be paired with Phoenix to get decent sound, correct?

I've had my share of frustrations with QSI Solutions (I wish Josh would prioritize customer server over new product development!) but I remain a customer because in my opinion the sound quality is much better than anything else on the market. Phoenix is good too, but doesn't vary under actual load like integrated sound/motor decoders. And Zimo is full of features, but from what I've heard the US sound samples can't compare to QSI.

The only product availability issue I'm aware of with QSI right now is the G-Wire receivers, for those who run Airwire/Gwire rather than traditional DCC. I also hope they get these back on the market soon.

• 2 years later...

• 3 weeks later...

But wait there's more!!

QSI announced on 9/5/2017 that the Titan decoder is officially dead...and now today I see most all dealers have pulled QSI from their websites. :Smiling_Face_with_Tightly_Closed_eyes_large(24x24):

Here's the QSI Yahoo Group posting from 9/5...

QSI is not planning on reproducing the large scale Titan decoder you refer to.   

HOWEVER, we do have in stock what we call FX-DO, which is what we furnish to O scale DC and DCC manufacturers. This unit will power just about all of the current  large gauge engines. It has all the latest features and full lighting capability.

Interested?  drop me a note off line.

Kelly
QSI

LOL..YOU BETCHA' BITCH :Smiling_with_Sweat_Emoji_large(24x24)::Tears_of_Joy_Emoji(24x24)::Tears_of_Joy_Emoji(24x24)::Tears_of_Joy_Emoji(24x24)::Tears_of_Joy_Emoji(24x24)::Tears_of_Joy_Emoji(24x24)::Tears_of_Joy_Emoji(24x24)::Tears_of_Joy_Emoji(24x24)::Smiling_with_Sweat_Emoji_large(24x24):

Yeah, it's unfortunate what has happened. I bought my last QSI Titan for my K4 back in February, just in time apparently. I'm still hopefully they will resurface at some point though. It's great hardware and software, it was just terrible customer support.

Oh I agree! Before QSI solutions there was Sounds Like Trains or something like that...Seems was like 3 or 4 different companies trying to be the US QSI distributor and they all failed. I thought this last attempt QSI Solution was owned by American Hobby Distributors?? or something that was owned by Tony Parasi of Tony's Train Exchange and they're no lightweights!

So problem has to be with QSI itself...period. 

I just got another MyLocoSound card from Del Taprio, has a remote control you can get that has several functions. Volume Whistle/Horn, Bell, All Aboard, Safety/Brake/ Brake/turbo, Auto Sound, Engine Types, Load Sense, Chuff Mode. I have some of the earlier cards that sound okay to me. Not as good as the MTH, but this control update gives you some flexibility you didn't have before. Good reviews on the speakers Train-Lie is selling in last issue of GR.

• 3 weeks later...